03 October 2011

Mind Over Matter, Chapter 17

Liz glances over at me across the back seat of the car. "You okay?" She's asked me this about five time already, and my answer is always the same.

"I'm fine." She sighs and turns her attention to Geoffrey. I'm on my way to see Jackson Forte. Zee offered to come with me for moral support, but I declined. I need to do this on my own.

"We should be there in just a few minutes." The place where he's being held is a couple hours away from the school, the land just as remote and bare of people. About 5 minutes later I finally see a building. It's big and white and gives me the creeps, for some reason. It just looks.. wrong. I give myself a mental scolding. It's just a building, Gemma, grow up. The car stops in front of the front steps and Liz gets out. I follow behind her closely, still creeped out by the building.

The front door opens into a main lobby of sorts. Thick white carpets, a dark brown wooden desk, glass coffee table, some scattered metal framed blue chairs. A short guy wearing a dark blue suit leads us down a few halls, past some doors. The mental energy I'm getting from this place feels all wrong and I want to get out. I remind myself that I'm here for a reason, and I'm going to see that reason through.

There are 4 other guys standing at the end of the hall, kind of crowded around the end door. Our guide clears his throat and they all step aside to let us through. I look at each of them as we pass. They're all confused, and even a couple are scared. I'm surprised I know this, since I've never been able to tell one's emotions. Now that I think about it, there have been other strange things going on. I've been able to sense where someone is in the house since I got there. I'd chalk it up to my powers getting stronger, but the timing seems a little odd.

Suddenly we stop at a door with a small square window. "He knows she's here?" I glance over at Liz while the short guy nods, looking me up and down, as if to say This is what he wants? I sneer at him and his eyes widen. Serves you right. Still looking at me, he presses a button on the wall.

"Jackson." He's got a deep voice for such a short guy. I hear a rumbling chuckle come from the speaker beside the button.

"You can go now."

"You know we can't do that, Jackson. It's this or nothing." A few seconds of empty static.

"Fine. You can restrain me, I won't fight." Shorty lets go of the button and talks into a walkie talkie. Really? A walkie talkie? I laugh under my breath and Liz gives me a warning look. I shrug innocently and cross my arms across my chest. We wait a few minutes until five big, beefy looking guys come walking toward us.

"Is this really necessary?" Everyone looks at me as if I'm crazy. Liz finally answers me.

"Yes."

"Stand back and wait until he's properly restrained, then I'll let you come in." As if I have any other choice but to do as he says. I stand against the opposite wall as the five guys go into the room on the other side of the door. Once all is secure one leans out and gives the okay. Jeez, I feel like I'm in a gang movie or something.

The short guy goes in first, and then Liz. I take a deep breath and follow them. The first thing I notice is the big guys, one in every corner and one beside the door. Liz and the other guy are standing off to the side. Shorty looks bored and Liz looks slightly nervous. I look at the guy in the middle of the room, the one causing all of this, and he smiles at me.

It's a knowing smile, but what could he know? We've never met before this. Unless he was stalking me without my knowledge, then he can't possibly know a thing about me.

"Au contraire, mademoiselle, I know a lot about you." I narrow my eyes and tilt my head a little.

"What am I doing here?"

"I don't know, what are you doing here?"

"You asked for me."

"You didn't have to come."

"You would have broken out and found me anyway." His smile is so icy, is gives me chills. "What do you want with me?" His eyes never leave mine.

"I'd tell you, but not in front of these guys. Besides, you wouldn't believe me anyway."

"Oh sure. You'll get me alone and kill me like you did those other people, right? I'm not stupid." His smile doesn't falter, but I get an impression of guilt, regret.

"I don't want to hurt you, Gemma." Somehow, crazy as it seems, I completely believe him. He may be crazy and have killed two people, but I believe 100% that he doesn't want to hurt me. How odd. A few minutes go by during which Jackson just watches me. Shorty interrupts the silence.

"So is that enough for you, Jackson? Are you happy now that you've seen her?"

"Yes."

"Then you remember our agreement?" His eyes never leave mine.

"I remember." I look at Shorty.

"What agreement?" Liz answers for him.

"He'll be staying with us at the school, if that's still all right with you." My automatic response is No way in hell but I find the words die in my throat. I look back at Jackson, who is still watching me. A slow smile spreads across his face.

"Sure, that's fine." I blink after the words leave my mouth. I don't remember wanting to say that. Jackson has a self satisfied grin on his face, and I wonder if he had anything to do with me saying that.

No comments:

Post a Comment