29 September 2011

Someone Else's Happy Ending, Chapter 12

Wednesday December 31st [33 w 2 d]

"Red or black?" Phoebe holds up two shirts, one red and one black.

"Black."

"Which pair?" She also holds up two pairs of jeans.

"The darker ones."

"You sure you don't wanna come? Pink or blue eye shadow?"

"The light pink, not the bright one. You know I can't. And even if I could, I'd rather sit around here, veg out in front of the t.v, and not do anything all night."

"If you're sure. I'd make you lay down and not move all night. There's a t.v there and there's gonna be lots of munchies." I shake my head.

"No, no I'll be fine. I'll call you if I need you. Don't worry about me. This'll be the first time I've been really alone in weeks. I'm looking forward to it."

"All right, if you insist. Heels or flats?"

"Flats, the silver ones." She dresses herself in the clothes I suggested, sitting down to put on her make up. Her and Gabe are going to a party across town with a bunch of friends. I'm really glad that Gabe doesn't drink cause I'm in no mood to babysit Phoebe when she gets home. She doesn't hold her alcohol well.

"I'll call before I'm way out of it, or I'll tell Gabe to call, probably around midnight. Are you gonna be up?"

"Oh, probably. Lately it's hard for me to sleep before 1." She nods her head while applying her eyeliner.

"Ugh, I know. You make me crazy." I watch as she applies the rest of her make up. "Do you know if your mom's calling before you leave?"

"I don't really care. Even if she does call I won't talk to her." Phoebe sighs.

"Come on, Bell. It couldn't have been that bad."

"Are you serious? She cut off my cell phone and used the land phone all day so I couldn't talk to anyone. She was also on the computer all day. I couldn't stay up in my room cause I get hungry twice an hour. Even though the bathroom is on the other side of the house. I'm not supposed to be doing anything and she asked me to do tons of stuff for her, when she could have done it her damn self. Then the day before Christmas she tells me 'Oh, we're leaving in two days and will be gone for three weeks. I'll see if I have time to call. Your older brother will drive you to the train. Sorry kid.' You're telling me that wasn't that bad?"

"I know honey, but she just doesn't know how to react to you."

"I was gone almost 4 months. That's plenty of time to get over herself. I am the one that's pregnant. Not her. Doesn't she's think this is hard on me? She's been through this 6 damn times, wouldn't you think that's enough to realize what I'm going through?" She just shakes her head while looking for her purse.

"I dunno what to tell you, Bell. Just give her some time. She'll come around. I bet once she sees her beautiful little grand baby she'll put it all behind her. Did you see my silver bag?"

"It's under the couch upstairs."

"Oh, right! Be right back. I gotta call Gabe and find my cell." While she's upstairs I think about what she said. I guess I hadn't really thought of it that way before. That still doesn't excuse her from treating me like crap. I sigh and shake my head, forgetting it for now. I grab Phoebe's jacket and her keys before heading up the stairs.

"Phoeb? I got your keys and coat, where are you?"

"Kitchen." I puff my way up the stairs and then waddle into the kitchen to see her rifling through the fridge. Her parents and little brother are visiting family so I have the whole house to myself tonight. I almost find myself wishing I knew people around here so I wasn't completely alone.

"Wanna hand me some cheese and a yogourt?"

"Ugh, are you still eating that?" I sit down at the table while she hands me my food. I've been on this cheese covered in yogourt kick for about a month now. Everyone thinks it's gross but I think it's great.

"You know it."

"I dunno how you can eat that."

"Me either. But you'll understand when you're huge, hungry, and have cravings like you wouldn't believe." She shrugs and goes off to find her cell phone. I make my way to the living room, stopping on the way for a bottle of water from the fridge.

**

"Hey Bell. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, Gabe. How're you guys?"

"Phoebe's wasted. Just calling to check in." I laugh. I knew she'd be drunk by midnight.

"Well I'm just fine over here. When're you guys coming home."

"Soon as I can pry her away from her drinks, we'll be on our way."

"See you soon, buddy."

"Bye." I hang up the phone and toss it beside my legs on the couch. I dip a chunk of cheese into the last yogourt in the fridge and pop it in my mouth. Half an hour later I see Gabe pull his car into the driveway. Ten minutes later he finally gets Phoebe into the house. He leads her downstairs to her room where she probably falls right to sleep. He comes back up and grabs a bucket from the bathroom.

"Night Gabe." He waves to me as he passes, going back down to the basement for the night. I manage to stay awake for the midnight ball drop, but soon find myself falling asleep during a Christmas special rerun.

No comments:

Post a Comment