29 November 2011

The Impossibility Of Sensibility, Chapter 3

I'm sitting in the kitchen eating my breakfast when Emmett's older brother, Robert, comes and shoves my plate away from me. "What did you say to Emmett last night?" I look at him, confused.

"What? I didn't say anything." He pushes a finger in my face.

"Yes you did. He came into our room last night freaking out. He wouldn't tell me what, but I know it was because of you. And you're gonna tell me what." I feel tears start to well up in my eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Robert's eyes narrow and for a brief moment, I'm afraid he's going to hit me.

"I know you're lying and I'm gonna find out why. No one messes with my little brother and gets away with it. Especially not some spoiled little brat who thinks she can walk all over whoever she wants just because of who her father is. Nope, you're not getting away with this." With that he spins around and storms out of the kitchen. I stare after him, not knowing what to think. If Robert's so mad then maybe he wasn't playing a joke on me after all. But what if Robert's just pretending to be mad to scare me?

Not hungry anymore, I decide to go to my secret hiding place. I walk quickly to the backyard, hoping that I don't run into Robert again. Who knows what he'd do without anyone around to accidentally catch him. When I'm about 10 feet from the door of my place I stop. Something's wrong. There's a wall of leaves that covers the doors and whenever I leave I always place them just so. I remember back to the last time I was here, where I left them like I always do. Looking at them now, they've been moved and I'm sure someone's inside. That makes me angry. This is supposed to be my special place!

I walk the rest of the distance, pull the leaves aside, and step inside. It's a small play house that I found a few years ago. There's leaves covering it everywhere and a large tree is growing right beside it, so it's pretty much blocked from view from the outside. You'd have to really be looking to find this place. I've never told anyone about it, not even Sasha. There are too small rooms in the house. I use one as a living room and one as a bedroom. I like to sleep out here sometimes.

I hear someone bump into something and a loud crash in the other room. I quickly hide behind a big cardboard box while I wait to see who it is. I don't have to wait long as they stumble backwards out of the bedroom. I have to clamp my hands over my mouth to keep from gasping out loud. I watch as Emmett regains his footing and then curses loudly. He moves back into the room to right whatever it was he bumped into, and then he just stands in between the doors, resting against the frame. My head comes nowhere near the ceiling, but his is almost touching it.

He looks around both rooms and then goes back into the bedroom. I wonder what on earth could be so interesting, but I take the chance to stand in the middle of the living room, hands on my hips, and a glare on my face. Emmett is kind of intimidating, but nothing like his older brother. I get the feeling he wouldn't ever threaten anyone with his size, which kind of makes me feel better since he's about twice my size and at least 4 inches taller than my 4 foot 1. I put on my best brave glaring face and wait for him to come back out.

When he finally does he's looking at the floor and almost doesn't even notice me as he walks by. As he's about to open the door I clear my throat and he jumps and spins around. I have to bite the inside of my mouth to keep from smiling. "Holy shit, Jillian, you scared me!" I narrow my eyes.

"What are you doing in here?" He blinks a few times, no doubt waiting for his heart rate to go down.

"I found it and was curious. What are you doing here?" I roll my eyes.

"Isn't that obvious? This is my stuff." Instead of saying he's sorry, he suddenly cracks up laughing. My eyebrows knit together. "Why are you laughing, Emmett McCarty?" He drops down to his knees, hugging his stomach.

"The look on... your.. face. Is hilarious." I cross my arms and give him my best glare, but it just makes him laugh harder. Which results in making me smile. Somehow I can't stay mad at him. I sit down on the floor and cross my legs. I suddenly stop smiling as I remember last night. Emmett notices my change in mood and stops laughing, coming to sit beside me. "What's wrong?" More stupid tears make their way to my eyes.

"Nothing."

"Oh come on, you really expect me to believe that?" I sigh and look down at my hands.

"You left last night without telling me why." Emmett takes one of my hands and my stomach flips.

"I'm sorry. I can't really explain why I left, but I'm willing to make it up to you." I can't help but stare at our hands.

"How?"

"Anything you want starting now."

"When does that end? When you leave tomorrow?" I see him shake his head out of the corner of my eye.

"Nope. As long as you want me here."

"You mean until you start to annoy me?" He laughs quietly and runs his thumb over the back of my hand. My stomach does another flip and my heart starts beating faster. Emmett takes my chin in his right hand and guides my face to look at his. Instead of letting go, he moves his fingers to rest on my neck. I'm faintly aware that I should be embarrassed that my heart is beating so fast, but as soon as he starts lowing his face to mine, every thought leaves my head.

I didn't think it could get much better than last night's kiss, but this one beats it by a long shot. He presses his lips gently against mine, moving them in a way that feels like nothing I've ever experienced. I never thought kissing could ever make me feel so warm and cold all at the same time. I wonder what this new feeling it is that I'm experiencing. I don't get long to wonder as Emmett pulls his lips away from mine and smiles dimply at me. I hadn't noticed until now that my breathing is fast and my face is flushed. It pleases me in a way I can't quite pinpoint, to see that Emmett's is, too.

I didn't think it could get much better until he takes my right hand and kisses it. The gesture is so sweet that I can't help but smile. He smiles that dimpled smile, a smile that is quickly becoming my favourite smile, and helps me stand up. I decide to fix the bedroom later as he leads me away from my, now our, special place up to the main house.

No comments:

Post a Comment