23 December 2013

The Boy Next Door, Chapter 15

I wake up slightly groggy and disoriented, forgetting for a second that I spent the night with Adrian. I try to sit up but am stopped by an arm draped over my stomach. I turn my head to see Adrian asleep beside me, his body quite close to mine. I shiver from the air conditioning, trying to grab the blanket at the end of the bed with my foot without waking Adrian. We were up late and it's still early. He shifts in his sleep, closer to me if possible, so I stop trying to get the blanket and instead turn my phone on.

It loads up and lets me know I have 2 missed calls and 4 new text messages. Both calls are from my dad. Two texts are from Brax, one from my dad, and the other from Lyssa. I frown. Last I knew she'd lost her phone. I open the text from my dad.

Went to say good morning and you weren't here. Please leave a note next time you don't come home for the night. Love you, dad.

I sigh. Next are the two from Brax.

Good morning baby sister. Call me when you wake up.

Scratch that, I'll call you around 10.

I hesitate before opening the text from Lyssa. Our last conversation had not gone well. Before I can decide what to do my phone vibrates with an incoming call from Brax. "It's not 10 yet."

"I did say around 10."

"It's not even 9."

"Whatever. Listen. Lyss called me late last night. She told me what happened and said that she made a mistake in telling you to bug off. She asked if I'd talk to you." I look up at the ceiling. "She's sorry, Em."

"She called me a liar. We've been friends our entire lives and she believes Brenda over me? Then tells me to fess up or we're not friends anymore."

"I know, Em. We talked for almost 3 hours. Half the time I could barely understand her she was crying so much. You know her, she doesn't cry." I huff and glance at Adrian. Still asleep. "Just talk to her, all right?"

"Why did she call you?"

"Because she knows I wouldn't talk to you unless I believed her." I close my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose between my fingers.

"She sent me a text last night. Should I read it?"

"I'd say yes. I've got to go though. Kieran just knocked, we're going to brunch." I smile.

"Oooh, brunch huh. Well call me later with the dirty details."

"Gross, Em. Love you, sister."

"You too. Bye." I hang up and open Lyssa's text message.

im sry im sry im sry. so sry. i did sum digging. can u meet me 2mrw pls??

I inhale and exhale deeply. I close my phone, deciding to respond to her later, and look over at Adrian. His eyes are open.

"How long have you been awake?" He grins.

"Not long. You seem to be having a busy morning." I turn onto my stomach and stretch.

"Seems that way."

"Want to talk about it?" I smile. The gesture is sweet.

"Not right now. Right now I'd rather talk about breakfast. What are you making me?" Adrian chuckles and snakes his other arm under me, hugging me close to him. My face now an inch from his.

"Who says I'm making breakfast?"

"I just did. I am a guest." Just then I realize something. "Didn't you say you had a job or something?"

"Yeah, they called me and said they didn't need me afterall. I work tonight at some restaurant."

"Convenient." He smiles and nods.

"Means you get to spend more time with me."

"Who says I want to do that?" There's a moment of silence in which I feel like he's going to kiss me, but instead he gets up.

"What would you like for breakfast?"

"What do you make best?"

"I know my way around a toaster pretty well." I laugh, get up and follow him down to the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment