20 May 2015

The Frailty Of Obsession, Chapter 1

"Oh, Shane, it's beautiful!" Shane looks nervously at the ring he plans to give my baby sister.

"Do you think she'll like it?"

"Are you kidding? She's going to love it." He still looks unsure. "Seriously, you have nothing to worry about. She'll just be happy you're finally proposing that she won't even notice the ring." This gets a laugh out of him. Shane and Grace have been together for close to 12 years, each choosing to focus on their careers before getting married. Shane snaps the case shut and shoves it back in his pocket.

"You're probably right."

"Of course I am." I smile and sip my coffee. It's 9 and probably a bad idea to be drinking coffee at this hour, but bedtime be damned. "So how do you plan to do this?"

"That's a good question because I have no idea. I was hoping you would know." I chuckle.

"Should I write your vows for you, too?" I glance up at the door as Lee finally gets home. "Hey stranger, you're home late." The look he gives me makes me laugh. I get up and take his coat and brief case for him. "Tough case?" He nods while slumping into a kitchen chair.

"Like you wouldn't believe. Hi Shane." Shane gets up from the couch and collects his own coat from the hall closet.

"Hey Lee. Gwen, we need to get together soon to work this nonsense out, all right?"

"It's a date. Have a good night, future brother." He gives Lee and I a wave before shutting the door behind him.

"What was that about?" I sit on Lee's lap and give him a small kiss.

"The man finally bought a ring. He just came over to show me and ask for proposal ideas." Lee gives me another kiss, which turns into a few more. "So, do you want to talk about work while I make you something to eat?"

"You don't cook." I shrug and go for the phone book.

"Okay, so not cook so much as order. What'll it be?"

"Thai?"

"We got sick last time, remember? What about some good ol' pizza?"

"Sounds good. I'm just going to change. You know what I want." I order while Lee changes from his work clothing. He's usually blabbing about his day the second he walks in the door so this avoidance is a little peculiar. I grab two beers from the fridge and walk them to the living room, turning the movie back on that I was watching before Shane showed up. I'm half done my beer before Lee joins me, wearing nothing but pajama pants.

"Aren't you cold?" He shrugs and slides under the blanket beside me, putting his arm around my head. We fall into silence while we watch the movie until the pizza arrives. I pay and bring it to the living room. More silence as we eat. I would like to inquire as to Lee's quiet but I know he'll tell me when he's ready. A yawn suddenly reminds me that it's after 10:30 and I need to be at work early tomorrow.

"Tired, babe?" I yawn again.

"Apparently." I move to gather the rest of the pizza but Lee stops me.

"Let me do that. You go to bed, I'll clean up." I raise my eyebrow. Lee's a pretty good boyfriend. He picks up after himself and doesn't clog the sink when he shaves. But rarely does he offer to clean up dinner after a late day at work. He sees the look on my face and just chuckles. "You look like you're going to fall asleep on your feet. I'll just rinse out the dishes and be along in a minute." I shake my head and head into the bathroom, take care of my nightly routine then slide into bed and let out a content sigh. The bed is so comfortable. I had planned to stay awake until Lee joined me in bed but after 20 minutes I decide to call it a night and give in to sleep.

**

I listen as she finally falls asleep, then get myself ready for the night. It never takes long before It takes her over and it's the middle of winter so I need to make sure I'm dressed for the weather. Just as I'm putting my hat on I hear the first stirrings from the bedroom. It doesn't take long before she's leaving the apartment. Here we go, I think as I lock the door behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment