17 February 2016

SEHE; Chapter 12

Monday December 08 [30w 0d]

It's been a rather quiet month. With the holidays coming up soon the professors have been piling on the school work. I haven't seen much of Draco, other than in our one shared class. I've been trying to write back to my mother, but each time I put quill to parchment my brain stops working. I explained this in a letter to Phoebe, so hopefully she's relayed the message to my mum.

Currently I'm in the library studying with Lena. Trying to study, more like. I've been very uncomfortable all morning and it's hard to concentrate. Lena looks at me as I shift for the millionth time. "Are you all right?"

"I don't know. I'm achy all over." Her eyebrows squinch together.

"Should we go see Madame P?" I shake my head.

"No, I don't think so. I'm 30 weeks, it's likely normal."

"Still." I cut off her argument.

"If it doesn't stop by tomorrow I'll go, okay?" She nods, but reluctantly. For the next bit I see her glancing at me often, so to get out of the library I decide I need to pee. "And no, you don't need to come." She makes a silly face as I get up. Instead of going directly to the toilets, because I know I'll need to go eventually, I walk around a little first. Sitting for too long makes me uncomfortable.

As I'm wandering down the hallway I happen upon Keelan. He's been avoiding me since his conversation with Draco during the Halloween dance. I haven't been all that keen to talk to him anyway, but his behaviour is just sad. We were best friends for years and he decides to give it up simply because he can't step up and be a dad.

When he notices me he stops short and just kind of stares at me. I know my tummy is getting big, but it makes me self-conscious. After a few seconds he turns around to leave and as he does a sudden, intense pain runs up my back and down my legs. A surprised cry escapes me and I hold the wall to keep from falling down. I sink to my knees as a precaution as tears make their way down my cheeks. Another pain hits me, this one worse than the first one, and I cry out again.

I'm vaguely aware of someone walking up to me but my eyes are closed so I don't know who it is. The after pain is terrible and my stomach is tight and painful. A sudden realization dawns on me. This could be premature labour. I open my eyes to see Keelan kneeling on the floor in front of me. "Are you okay?"

"No, I don't think so. Could you help me to the hospital?" To my utmost surprise, he does. He helps me up and half-supports me as we make our way to Madame P. There are a few people in there when he opens the door. They're all wearing Quidditch uniforms. I'd forgotten there was a match today. I don't think much of it until I spot Draco sitting on a cot, a bandage covering his head and his arm. I disengage myself from Keelan and make my way to Draco. He sees me and practically jumps off the cot.

"Bell! Are you okay?" I still have some pains but they're not near as bad as a few minutes ago.

"I'm fine. Are you all right?" He waves off my concern.

"Normal Quidditch stuff. Harlan missed the bludger and broke my arm. Bludger grazed my head." I look over at Jasper Harlan. He's a 4th year. Madame P is tapping his nose, which is gushing blood. I look accusingly at Draco.

"And just what happened to him, I dare ask?" To Draco's credit he looks embarrassed, but only for a second.

"I may or may not have retaliated by kicking him in the face. S'not my fault his nose was there." I just shake my head as Draco takes me in a hug. I suddenly remember Keelan and look behind me, but he's left. I feel bad now. "Did I see you with Richards?"

"Ahm, yes, you did."

"Why?" I pull away and subconsciously rub my stomach.

"It's not important." I look up at Draco and I can tell he doesn't believe me, but he doesn't press it.

"Mr Malfoy, you're free to go." Draco takes my hand but I pull back.

"I need to see Madame P for a second. No, you don't need to stay. I'll catch you later, okay?" He looks as if he's going to argue, but decides against it. After he leaves I sit on a cot and wait for Madame P to finish with the other student. As I'm waiting another pain shoots through my body and I'm doubled over when she finally comes to me. When the pain subsides she hands me a glass of water.

"I've been achy all morning and these pains started maybe half an hour ago."

"If I didn't know any better, dear, I'd say they're contractions." A few tears spill over.

"I have ten weeks left. I can't have her now."

"Of course not, dear girl. We'll get them stopped and you'll be just fine. As a precaution you'll be set to bed rest. Hopefully not until you deliver, but we'll monitor you closely." I sigh with relief. Madame P mixes together a potion that she says will stop my contractions. After I drink it I have to say I feel a million times better. After the potion I want to go down to lunch but I'm told I have to stay the night for observation.

"But what about classes?"

"I will let your professors know and someone will bring your school work to you." It just occurs to me then that Lena was expecting me back and is probably worried about me now.

"My books are in the library with Lena. And I'll need some things from my dormitory." She purses her lips while she thinks.

"I shall fetch Miss Greene and she can gather some things for you." I nod and sit back on the bed. I'd hoped she would let me to at least the library, but no such luck. Though now that I'm sitting and comfortable, I find I'm exhausted. So while I wait for Lena to get here I doze off.

+++

Friday December 12 [30w 4d]

It's been four days of bed rest and I think I'm going slightly insane. I'm stuck in bed until Monday before classes and I've asked Lena to knock me out until then but she won't do it. My correspondence with Phoebe has really picked up so that's something, but I'm getting real tired of sitting in bed all day long.

A few girl friends have come by to see how I'm doing, but the only person I really want to see is Draco. We write a couple times a day and he assures me Monday will come before I know it. Even then I have to take it easy and stay off my feet as much as possible. If the contractions start up again I'll be confined to my bed for the duration of the pregnancy. I don't know how I'm going to manage that with my classes.

With all of my free time I decided to finally get that letter written to my mother. To my surprise I got a reply from her the next day. I hope our relationship mends itself, especially because I'm going home for the Christmas holiday. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to talk then. "Hi sweetheart." I look up from my book to see Lena coming into the dorm.

"Hi there. How was Transfiguration?" I grin. Lena and Melissa Dilly have been fighting for top scores almost our entire time at Hogwarts. Lena finally bested her with a spell we learned last week.

"Oh don't even ask. Melissa got it perfectly, of course, and I had one small inaccuracy." I chuckle while I mark my place and put the book aside. "The NEWTs are going to drive me crazy. You're so-" She stops, but I know what she was going to say.

"It's okay, Len. I'm still upset but I've come to terms with it. It's not like I'll never graduate, it's just going to be a year or two late." Lena smiles sadly. "Besides, I think I'm finally happy about the pregnancy and subsequent infant."

"You think so?" I nod and adjust my sitting position.

"Yeah, I do. I'm confident now that I'm not going to be doing this on my own. I've got my mom, Charlie, and half a dozen brothers. I've got you and Phoebe. And apparently now I've got Draco." Her smile turns happy.

"We all love you, honey. And you know I love you the most, right?" She winks and I laugh.

"Are you going to visit during the holiday?" She crosses her legs and rests her chin on her hand.

"I'm going to try to. Mum had mentioned something about seeing auntie Gertrude in Scotland. If we don't go I'll definitely visit."

"Oh I'm jealous. Make sure you bring me back something fabulous."

No comments:

Post a Comment