18 August 2011

Someone Else's Happy Ending, Chapter 3

Saturday August 16th [13 w 5 d]

"Annabel, wake up! Mom wants you downstairs in 20 minutes." I throw a pillow across the room and it hits my door. It's been almost 4 weeks since I found out and I'm still nowhere near knowing what I want to do. I've been spending almost every waking minute with my mom, helping her with her business. Apparently the first few months are the most important. I keep wondering what she's gonna do when I leave in three weeks. "Annabel! Get your ass outta bed!"

"Okay! I'm getting up." I roll over and almost fall out of bed, shuffling to my bathroom. I turn on the shower and take a very short one, washing up in record time. I look down at my belly, placing my hands across it. I haven't started to really show yet, but there's a definite bulge.

"Bell? You almost ready? I wanna get to Diagon Alley before noon."

"Yeah mom, I'm almost done." I was the only sibling that had received their Hogwarts letter so far. My oldest brother Nate is 20, Jordan is 18, I'm 16, Freddy is 13, Mark is 12, and Leon is 10. We'll know next year whether or not Leon will get in to Hogwarts. Everyone used to be really jealous but they don't care anymore.

I finish up in the bathroom, opening the door to my room. What I see completely surprises me. My mom sitting on my bed, holding a small white stick. Uh oh... "What is this? No, never mind, I know what it is. When was this taken?" I look around my room.

"Um, a month ago?" She drops her hand into her lap, shaking her head.

"How far along are you?"

"Almost 14 weeks." She looks at me in disbelief.

"Were you planning on telling me? You're leaving in 3 weeks Annabel. Were you going to keep this a secret until you came home with a baby?" I shake my head.

"No, I was going to tell you. I just didn't know when. You've been so busy with your business you hardly think about anything else." I go over to my closet, picking out my outfit for the day.

"Claire, we've got to get going."

"We'll talk about this later." Disaster #1 averted. Disaster #2 pending. Just as I'm trying to pull up my pants my cell phone rings. I pick it up and hold it with my chin, in search of a pair of pants that fit.

"Hey Bellie. What're you doing today?" I ignore Phoebe as I try to do up another pair of pants. "Hullooo, Bell? Did you hear me?" I settle for track pants.

"I'm going to Diagon Alley today, remember?"

"Oh shoot. Gabe's working and I have nothing to do."

"Why don't you come with me? I'll probably need the emotional support, me thinks." I change my search to a shirt that's not too tight.

"Why, what happened."

"My mom found out. I was in the shower and she found the stick in my garbage."

"Oh shit. That's not good. You should have told her." I grunt in annoyance.

"When was I supposed to do that? Oh hey mom, Greenfield cancelled and Parks moved their appointment to next week, oh and I'm pregnant, would you like another coffee?"

"Good point. Well, I dunno Bell."

"Annabel, could you come down to the kitchen for a minute?" Here comes Disaster #2.

"I gotta go. I think she just told Charlie. Hurry up and get over here."

"Okay, my dad left me the car so I'll be over in a few minutes. Bye." I flip my phone closed and toss it on my bed before pulling a t-shirt over my head. I grab my purse and the supplies list, slipping on my shoes and heading down to the kitchen. What I see doesn't surprise me. My step dad Charlie and my mom sitting at the table.

"Could you sit down please Annabel." I cross my arms.

"I think I'd rather stand, thanks." My mom sighs.

"We were just trying to decide the best course of action to take."

"Trying to decide? Don't I have a say in this?" She shakes her head.

"No, I don't think so. You're not equipped for this Annabel. You don't know what you're getting yourself in to."

"I don't think you have the right to tell me what I will and will not do."

"Don't yell at your mother." I turn to Charlie.

"I can yell at whoever I damn well please. I'm keeping this baby and you two will have no say in it." Just then I hear Phoebe knocking at the door. She opens it and steps into the kitchen.

"Today's not a good day, Phoebe. Maybe you can see Annabel tomorrow." I turn back to my mom.

"No. Phoebe and I are going to Diagon Alley without you. Then I'll be staying at her house." I notice that Mark and Leon are eavesdropping in the living room as I leave, slamming the kitchen door behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment