16 September 2011

Mind Over Matter, Chapter 13

"I'm a Telepath." Zee's eyes widen a little and his cheeks darken slightly. I smile and raise an eyebrow.

"Uhm, have you been listening the whole time?" I chuckle and shake my head.

"Nah, it doesn't work like that." He is obviously relieved. Why, I have no idea.

"How does it work then?"

"It's.. hard to explain. I can't read anyone's mind at any given time. I have to be connected to them first. And that's kind of complicated."

"How so?"

"Well, I have to be thinking the exact same thing as another person to connect with them, at the exact same time."

"Thinking what?" I shrug.

"Anything, whatever. Could be a colour or a word or a picture." Zee grins.

"Do it to me."

"What? Why?"

"I wanna see what it feels like. Do it." I narrow my eyes a little.

"Once I'm in there I can see whatever I want and for as long as I want. The connection doesn't end unless I end it." His grin fades a little.

"Hm, well maybe another time then." I laugh a bit and grab another bread roll. "Do you ever accidentally link with someone?"

"It happens all the time. School was the worst, with everyone in the class thinking the same thing like during a test or something."

"That sounds like it sucked."

"You have no idea." I stand up and stretch. "So, what do you do?"

"I'm a Telekinetic Pyro."

"Whew.. And I thought mine was cool." Zee laughs and leads me to the common room. Will is playing a video game. I flop down on the sofa and look back at Zee, who sits beside me.

"It's not that cool, really. I'm not that good yet, but don't tell anyone. I came here mostly to control it." He blushes. "I got into a little trouble earlier this year."

"I hardly call burning down your house a little trouble." My eyes widen at Will's back and I look back at Zee, who is scowling.

"I didn't do it on purpose, all right, pretty boy? You know that." Will snorts.

"Wait, do you two know eachother?" Zee nods sadly.

"Unfortunately." I turn back to Will.

"So what do you do?" This time Zee snorts.

"Shut it, Golding." Will pauses his game and turns to look at me. There's an expression on his face I can't read. "I can levitate."

"Really, why don't you give us a show." Will closes his eyes and for a few minutes nothing happens. Then, he raises a few inches off the floor and falls back onto his ass. Zee cracks up laughing.

"Some ability you got there, Cedar. You can raise yourself a couple inches, good job!" I give Zee a sideways look.

"I bet he can do more than that, can't you Will." He doesn't say anything, just unpauses his game and ignores us. I roll my eyes and lay back against the couch, setting my feet on Zee's lap. He goes to grab for one and I kick his hand. "I warn you, I am ticklish, and I don't fight fair."

"Relax, I was just gonna massage them for you." I raise an eyebrow but after a few seconds I set my feet back down and he takes one in his hands. "The trick is to make firm movements. Any light touches will tickle the person because they aren't expecting it." I think he's crazy, but he successfully gets through an entire foot massage, both feet, without tickling me once.

"Amazing. No one's been able to do that, ever."

"I could tell. You carry a lot of tension in your feet and your shoulders."

"My shoulders?"

"Yep. I can tell just by looking at them." He moves to position me so I'm sitting in front of him, but I stand up and back away before he can. He gives me a questioning look and I shrug.

"I'm kinda tired, so I'm gonna go up to my room. I'll see you tomorrow." I turn and exit the common room, heading up the stairs and straight into my room. I close the door behind me and try to lock it, finding out there's no lock. Great. I sit on the bed and lay back against the pillow. I suddenly have a terrible sense of homesickness. I reach into my bag for my cellphone and wait for it to load, only to find that there's no service out here. Just great.

I stuff it back in my bag and sigh. I'm also suddenly really tired, even though it's only 8 PM, and would only be 5 back home. I undress and find a big t-shirt in my bag, pull it on and get under the blanket. The pillow is squishy and the blanket is itchy and I almost miss my own bed in my own room.

No, Gemma, it's not your room anymore, remember? This is your room now. This is your house and your life now. I do something I haven't done since I was 8. I cry myself to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment