16 September 2011

Someone Else's Happy Ending, Chapter 9

Saturday November 1st [24 w 5 d]

"Dracooo, feel sorry for me. I've officially accepted that I don't walk anymore, I waddle."

"Oh love, come on. You don't waddle."

"Oh yes I do!" He just shakes his head as I ramble on about how fat I'm getting, how I can't see my feet, how I haven't shaved my legs in weeks, and on and on.

"Let's hope you don't break Promfrey's eardrums." I shoot him a look as I pass him through the hospital wing door. Draco and I walk down to the end of the room. I hoist myself up on one of the beds and sit, waiting for Madame Promfrey. She hurries out of her office in her usual business manner.

"Well hello dear, how can I help you?" I unconsciously place my hand on my stomach.

"I've been kind of worried lately. I've read a few books and they all say that I should feel movement by at least 24 weeks. I'm almost 25 and haven't felt anything at all yet."

"Hop back on the cot for me and we'll take a look." I lay back and she taps my stomach, muttering the same spells that she did all those weeks ago. It feels like forever that I was laying here. She waves her wand and a curtain snakes around us and the bed. The grey screen is projected onto the curtain and I can see my little girl.

"Why can't I feel her move? She's moving on the screen."

"It's not common but not all unheard of to not feel anything this far along. I'd start to worry if you're closer to 30 weeks and haven't felt anything at all." She moves the tip of her wand around. "Still looks to be a girl. Nice, healthy heart beat. She's right on track. No need to worry, dear, she's perfectly fine." I sigh in major relief.

"That's great, thank you." Draco nudges me. "Oh! I was wondering if you could tell me the due date? I'll be 25 weeks on Monday."

"Well dear, you just add 15 weeks from Monday. So that means your estimated due date would be on February 16th. Of course, she will most likely pick her own day to show up." I nod and rub my belly, watching her on the projection. Her little legs are moving and kicking around.

"Madame Promfrey?!"

"Sorry dear, I've got to go. Come back around 30 weeks if you still haven't felt anything or sooner if you have any other concerns." She rushes off to help someone else, leaving Draco and I to sit there alone.

"So, are you worried anymore?" I look down at my belly.

"Not as much as before now that I've seen her moving around. Thanks for coming with me, Draco." He gives me a small smile.

"No problem, Bella." There's an awkward pause where he looks like he wants to say something else, but Madame Promfrey beats him to it.

"I'm sorry, but I need to use this bed. Quidditch injuries, you know."

Thursday November 20th [27 w 3 d]

Draco and I are in the library studying. Well, I'm supposed to be studying, but I just can't be arsed to do it. I'm almost falling asleep as he's reading a Quidditch magazine. The library is our choice hang out lately since it's been cold outside and I won't let him in my common room. He's offered his but I've refused. Currently we're sitting on one of the two couches in the library. Most people know by now to bug off if I wanna sit here. He's absently rubbing my calves while reading and I'm dozing off, one hand on my stomach.

I'm just about to fall asleep when I feel a little bump in my stomach. I jump a little and sit up, looking down at my belly. Draco looks quickly at me. "What's wrong, Bell?"

"I think.. I think I just felt her kick." A smile spreads across my face as I feel another little bump.

"Really?" I nod.

"Yeah. Give me your hand." I grab his hand and place it on my belly. "Just wait.." It takes her a few minutes, but she kicks again, this time against Draco's hand. "Did you feel that?" He nods. "This is amazing." We sit with his hand placed on my tummy for a few more minutes.

"Do you have any names picked out?" I shrug.

'Not really. I haven't really thought about it too much. I kind of like Elizabeth, but I don't like Lizzie."

"Are you going to think of any boy names?" I shake my head.

"Naw, probably not. I mean, if Madame Promfrey changes her mind and decides the baby might be a boy, I might think of one. But probably not. I think I'll have enough trouble thinking of a girl name." Draco nods and takes his hand back, going back to his magazine. He's got that look on his face again, where it looks like he wants to say something else but is stopping himself. I frown but don't push him. He'll tell me when he feels like it.

I feel another little kick, this time on what feels suspiciously like my bladder, and almost pee myself. "Oh, crap. Draco, help me up."

"Hmm?" I smack his shoulder. "Hey-"

"Like now, Draco. Or else I'm going to pee on you." He gets up and heaves me off the couch then grabs my bag as I waddle from the library and down the corridor to the bathroom.

"I'll just.. wait out here for you, shall I?" I hurry into a stall and don't even bother locking it, just rip my pants down and sigh a huge breath of relief that I made it to the toilet.

As I'm washing my hands I look down at my belly and sigh. "We still have 12 more weeks to go, you and I. Throwing up is one thing, but peeing my pants is not something I'd like to do. Ever. Got that, little lady?" I swear she actually listened, cause there's a small bump when I end my little speech. I pat my belly and smile. "Good girl. Now, let's go get us something to eat."

No comments:

Post a Comment