13 October 2011

The Boy Next Door, Chapter 5

"Three beers." I glance back at Lyss and Adrian as I wait for our drinks. Their heads are bent toward eachother and they look like they're yelling. The music is loud, but the club seems okay so far.

"9 bucks." I give the guy a ten, tell him to keep the change, and swerve around people to the table we're sitting at.

"You guys owe me 3 dollars each." When Adrian reaches for his wallet I start laughing. "I'm kidding. These are on me." I take a swig of my beer and look around. The club looks exactly like all of the other ones I've been to. Too loud and too crowded.

"Em! Hey!" I look over at Lyss. "Come dance with me!" I sigh and shake my head. She knows I hate the club scene. Lyss shrugs, picks up her beer, then goes down to the dance floor. One thing about Lyss is it doesn't matter where she is, she can fit in anywhere.

I sit down across from Adrian and take another drink. He looks as bored as I feel. I briefly consider telling Lyss we're gonna head out, but I'd never hear the end of it. The last time I did that she didn't talk to me for nearly a week.

I'm about to yell across the table at Adrian when my phone vibrates. I flip it open and just stare at the screen. Sender: Mom. My thumb hovers over the "open text" button, but I can't bring myself to press it. I feel a nudge against my foot and look up at Adrian.

He mouths 'You okay?' and I just shrug, looking back at my phone. Before I can open the text I flip the phone closed and shove it back in my pocket. I have the sudden, insistent urge to cry so I stand up and make my way to the bathroom. I find an open stall and lock myself in it, hugging my stomach and leaning against the door. It's a lot quieter in here.

"Emma?" My head jerks up when I hear Adrian's voice. "You in here Emma?"

"Uhm, excuse me, this is the ladies bathroom. Are you blind or can you just not read?"

"Sorry, just looking for someone. Guess she's not in here."

"Who yah lookin' for han'some?" I roll my eyes but chuckle a little.

"No one you know. Excuse me.." I hear some muttering, no doubt the girl that Adrian just turned down. I take a few deep breaths, collect myself, then exit the bathroom. I spot Adrian standing next to a pool table and walk over to him. I gesture toward the door out of the club and he nods.

Once outside I take my phone out of my pocket and type in a text to Lyssa. had to leave. call me 4 info b4 u get mad. luv u. I press send and stick my phone back in my pocket. I cross my arms and look over at Adrian. "Sorry about that."

"No worries." I can tell he'd like to ask questions, but he keeps quiet. Something I'm grateful for. As nice as Adrian seems, he doesn't need to know all the crap between my mom and the rest of my family.

"Wanna get a coffee or something?"

"Sure." I lead him to my favourite coffee shop.

"The coffee isn't the greatest but it's quiet and open 24/7. Plus the muffins are amazing."

"What's your favourite?" He opens the door and lets me in first.

"Blueberry. Thanks." We walk up to the counter and he orders for us. When I move to pay for my half he tells me not to worry about it.

"Only fair since you paid for the beer." I lead him to my favourite table, in the back corner next to the window, and sit down across from him. We're quiet for a few minutes while I think of something to say. Even though I don't plan to explain everything in detail, I feel like I should at least give some sort of explanation for my weird behaviour at the bar.

"So, sorry about the bar." I look down at my muffin. "It's a long, complicated story, but I haven't heard from my mom in a year and she just happened to text tonight. I guess I freaked out a bit."

"Don't worry about it. All families have their problems. I've got some of my own, too." Conversation flows nicely after that and before either of us know it, it's 2 in the morning. He walks me home and we stop at the bottom of my porch steps.

"Well, this is me. I had a nice time." Adrian sticks his hands in his back pockets.

"Same here." There's silence for another few seconds then we both start to say something at the same time. I smile before I realize that the street lamp has been out for the past two years. "Well, I'll see you around."

"Sure. Bye, Adrian."

No comments:

Post a Comment