12 October 2011

Someone Else's Happy Ending, Chapter 15

Monday January 19th

I groan and squint my eyes against the bright light. Oh God, my head. "Doctor, she's awake." Awake? Where did I go?

"Annabel, can you hear me?"

"Yeah." My voice sounds funny, like I haven't had a drink in years.

"You're in ICU at St Mungo's Hospital. Do you know why you're here?" I look around the brightly lit room. I see a doctor, two nurses, and a bunch of machines.

"No. What happened?" I see an IV in each arm, hooked up to multiple bags of clear liquids.

"You went into labour earlier this afternoon and blacked out. You were rushed here and we did an emergency C-Section." I look down at my stomach, which certainly looks deflated.

"Did she... is she.." I can't seem get the words out.

"Your baby is fine. She's in the NICU so we can monitor her and make sure she's entirely healthy." I start to feel really sleepy. This is too much.

"Draco?"

"Mr Malfoy is worried sick. He's out in the waiting room. He'd like to see you."

"Can I see him?"

"Yes, but not for long. You need your rest. You've been through quite the experience." I close my eyes and listen as the doctor tells Draco he can come in to see me.

"Bella, oh God, look at you." I feel him take my left hand into both of his.

"How is she?"

"She's perfect. They let me see her for a couple minutes. Bella, she's beautiful." I smile as I drift away into sleep.

**

It's been five weeks since Cheyenne was born. She's a perfect, healthy, beautiful little girl. Since she was four weeks early they wanted to make sure she was okay. We've been back at Hogwarts for two days now.

"Draco, don't leave me alone."

"Sorry Bell, but I've got classes. I can only skip so many days in a row. I do want to graduate." I pretend to be annoyed while Draco kisses my forehead. I smile inwardly, wondering how I was ever so lucky.

After the drugs wore off and I could stay awake longer than half an hour at a time, Draco and I had a long talk. He told me he's liked me for a few years, but due to circumstances, he kept his mouth shut. I had no idea. We've decided to take it slow. Honestly I'm not ready for a long term relationship so soon after Keelan.

Speaking of him, he's nowhere to be found. He took off after he found out I'd had Cheyenne. Maybe he thought I was gonna take him to court for money or something. As if. He can run as far as he likes. Cheyenne and I don't need him.

Draco and I plan on moving into our own little place just outside of London in a small wizarding community once we've both graduated. He's been studying to be an Auror, much to everyone's surprise, and once he's done school he's going to apply for more training at the Ministry.

As for me, I think I'll be just fine staying home with Cheyenne. Both of our families are pretty well off (his way more so than mine) so we should be set for a while until he's done training and gets a job. We're going to live with his mother until we're stable enough to afford the house we want.

I smile, thinking about our future together. Draco catches me and raises his eyebrows. "What are you smiling for?"

"Oh, no reason. You go get smart and I'll see you at lunch." He shrugs but doesn't ask anything else. He gives Cheyenne and I a kiss before leaving. I sigh and look down at her. She's sleeping peacefully.

I lay down, intent on reading a few chapters, but soon give it up and just look at my little girl. As wrong as things started, in the end they've turned out pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment