16 November 2011

The Boy Next Door, Chapter 10

"Is that any way to say hello to your grandma?" I hear a chuckle on the other end of the line.

"Oh, I'm sorry! It's been a very bad morning." I plunk on my bed beside Adrian. Out of the corner of my eye I catch his arm move as if to go around my shoulders, but I guess he thinks better of it and moves it to his lap.

"What's going on?" I sigh deeply.

"I can't go into detail cause it involves a friend, but I'll say that Brenda really needs to mind her own damn business." I scoot back and sit with my back against the wall. I briefly wonder if Adrian feels awkward at all.

"You've been saying that for months."

"Well this time she went too far and got involved in something she shouldn't even know about. I was going to take care of it and now she's gone and ruined everything."

"You're sure you won't move here for the summer?" I smile.

"You know I can't, grandma. I have things to do here before I go off to college."

"Well you know the offer is always there, bunny."

"I know. So what did you call for?"

"I talked to Brax." Uh oh.

"What did he have to say?"

"Told me something about you and a young gentleman."

"I swear you're the weirdest grandma ever."

"You're changing the subject." I look at the back of Adrian's head and suddenly feel terrible for ignoring him right now. I'm so used to talking on the phone while Lyss is around that I guess I've forgotten my manners.

"I uh, can't talk about that right now."

"Is he there with you?"

"Yes. So I'll call you later okay?" I can just imagine the wink my grandma would give me if she were in front of me right now.

"All right. I look forward to your call."

"Love you, grandma."

"Love you, bunny." I hang up my phone and toss it into my lap.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't expecting my grandma to call and I don't talk to her very often." Adrian turns around and gives me a smile.

"No, that's okay."

"So what are you doing over here anyway? I know I told you to come, but you said 'hang on I'll be over in 5' and then didn't do anything." I chuckle as he smiles again.

"Honestly, I didn't have a plan. I just didn't think you wanted to be alone right then." I feel a blush creep up my neck.

"No, I guess I didn't." Adrian is about to say something when my phone rings. Again. This time I actually scream. "Ahhhh!" I check caller ID to see that it's my dad this time. For a second I consider answering but decide against it. I can be lectured later. I turn off the ringer and stuff the phone under a pillow.

"Not going to answer?" I shake my head.

"Are you kidding me? I feel like I've talked to every damn person I know on the phone today. First my brother, then Lyss shows up, then you, then my grandma, now my dad. When will it end?" Either my rant or expression strikes him as funny because he suddenly bursts out laughing.

"I'm sorry, but it's just kind of hilarious." I roll my eyes in a playful way and then smile.

"Maybe I'll see it that way in a week or two." He grins and I feel my stomach do a flop. I debate whether or not to give him a surprise shove when there's a knock at my door. I thunk the back of my head against the wall.

"Emma?"

"What?"

"Your dad said he's tried calling and you won't answer. Is your phone working?" I roll my eyes and Adrian grins at me.

"Sorry, it's dead. I haven't plugged it in yet."

"I have him here, do you want to come get the phone?"

"No thanks. I was just going to eat and then go out."

"Where?"

"None of your business, Bren. Now go away." I sigh and get off the bed, frowning when I realize that my casserole is now cold. I'm starving but don't want to go down to the kitchen to heat it back up. I open one of the water bottles and take a sip while I think.

"So you're going to show me around after all?" I turn around and shrug.

"Since it seems I have nothing better to do, sure, why not?"

"Showing me around town should be on the top of your to-do list for the day." I raise my eyebrows as I cap my water.

"Oh, really?" Adrian nods while getting off the bed and going to his ladder. He lowers it down to the ground and starts to climb out when I stop him. He looks at me with a confused look on his face. Impulsively I walk over to him, lower my head, and give him a quick but hard peck on the lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment