22 April 2012

The Impossibility Of Sensibility, Chapter 16

I'm laying in bed reading a book when I hear the phone ring. I don't bother to get up because I figure someone else will get it. After the 5th ring I sigh, mark my page, and hurry down to the lobby to grab the phone.

"Hello?" No one answers. "Hello?" I wait another few seconds before getting a peculiar feeling that it's Emmett on the other end. "Emmett?" Click. I stare at the receiver before placing it back in the cradle. Why would he call just to hang up? I frown while staring at the phone.

It's been two weeks since I talked to Dr Cullen about seeing Emmett and no one's called to tell me what's going on. I've tried going to the hospital but he's always either busy or has just left. I'm beginning to wonder if this meeting is going to happen at all. "Jillian, who was that on the phone, dear?" I turn around to see my mother.

"I don't know. They hung up." She frowns as she takes off her gloves. When she looks back up at me there's a smile on her face.

"So I know your birthday isn't for a few weeks, but I was wondering if there's anything special you'd like to do? We could go into the city to the cinema and have dinner. Just the two of us." I force a smile onto my face.

"Sure, that sounds fun." Mother beams.

"Wonderful." I turn back around and walk up the stairs to my room. The only thing I want for my birthday is to see Emmett.

**

"Aren't you cold, Greg?" He laughs and shakes his head. It's freezing outside and all he's wearing is a pullover.

"Didn't you know I'm cold blooded? Like a snake." He pretends to hiss at me. I just roll my eyes. We're walking to the market to pick up stuff for my birthday dinner tomorrow. I'm going to be 19. Greg glances over at me so I look over at him. He's got a thoughtful look on his face.

"What?"

"Could I tell you something?"

"Anything."

"Do you remember meeting Addison?" I think but can't really remember.

"Not really. Why?"

"Well, I want to ask her to marry me." I stop and grab his arm.

"Really? That's great." A smile lights his face.

"You think so? I didn't want to if you didn't think it was a good idea." We continue walking.

"Why wouldn't I think it's a good idea?" He hesitates and I know what he's thinking.

"Well.. because of Emmett. I know you still miss him." I look down at my feet as we walk.

"Yeah, I do."

"So I didn't want to get married if it was going to upset you." Tears spring to my eyes and I surprise myself and Greg by giving him a hug. I don't think we've hugged since we were kids.

"You're too sweet, Greg. I couldn't ask for a better big brother." I pull back and look up into his face. "Of course you should ask her!" He smiles and hugs me again. After a few seconds we continue walking. "When are you going to?"

"I was thinking of our anniversary, which is only a couple weeks away. I want to make it special."

"I'm sure she'll love whatever you plan. I'll have to meet her again."

"She's been dying to meet you but I didn't want to disrupt your progress or anything. I figure since it's been almost a year since you've been home that now would be the time."

"This is a great birthday present. I'm so happy for you." Greg takes my hand and we swing our arms together the rest of the way to the market.

**

I look around awkwardly as everyone sings me Happy Birthday. When the time comes to make a wish I close my eyes and think I wish I could see Emmett just one more time and blow out the candles. While everyone's clapping and someone turns the light back on, I catch a glimpse of a face out the window. My heart stops. I know it's Emmett. Before I can get a really good look he's gone. I want to run outside after him but the cake is being cut and I'm being talked to. I know I have to respond. It's so hard when I know Emmett is out there. Right now.

"What did you wish for, Jill?" Someone answers before I can.

"If she tells you it won't come true!" Everyone laughs. They have no idea my wish has already come true. I make it through the rest of the evening with difficulty. All I want is to be alone in my room, but I know I need to stay downstairs and be a good hostess.

By the time everyone's gone I rush up to my room and shut my door, leaning against it and closing my eyes. I jump when I hear my name on the other side of the door. "Jillian?"

"Yes, Father?"

"Sleep well."

"I will. Good night." I hear his footsteps walk away from the door and sigh. I peel my dress off and throw on a robe, climbing into bed and under the blankets. I'm almost asleep when I hear a small tap on my window. I frown and open my eyes, wondering who could be outside my window when my bedroom is on the second floor.

I lay still and after a minute there's another tap. I get up and walk to the window, grateful that my light is off and anyone outside won't be able to see me. I slide the curtain aside a couple inches and look down at the ground. My heart stops for the second time that night. I yank open the window and stick my head out. "Emmett?" Through the darkness I see him grin.

"Yes Jilly, it's me. Can I come up?"

"My parents are downstairs. You'll be seen."

"Don't worry about that. Just step back." I do as he says while wondering how he thinks he could possibly climb into my window from the ground. I didn't see a ladder. A few seconds later I'm quite surprised to see him standing in my room like he's just appeared from thin air. And maybe he has. "Oh, Jilly, I've missed you." My hearts trips. He looks exactly the same as I last saw him. I start crying.

"Why?" It's the only thing I can think of to say, but he seems to understand what I'm asking.

"Oh, Jill, it's been so complicated. I'm not the same anymore. I wasn't allowed to come see you, even though it's been killing me not to." I sit heavily on the end of the bed.

"You look exactly the same, Emmett."

"Only to you. I'm quite different." I shake my head.

"I don't understand." He kneels in front of me and takes one of my hands in his. His hands feel like ice but I let him hold it.

"I know you don't. I don't really understand half of it myself either. But I'm willing to try and explain it to you if you'll let me. As best I can explain it." I look into his eyes, surprised to find they're not the sky blue I remember them to be. Instead they're a rich golden colour. "That's one thing I'll explain. But not tonight. Tonight I just want to be with you."

"I just have one question." He grips my hand tighter.

"Anything."

"Will you be here when I wake up?" He smiles that dimpled smile that was always my favourite, his eyes alight with happiness.

"Yes, I'll be here."

No comments:

Post a Comment