08 November 2015

SEHE; Chapter 4

Wednesday August 27 [15w 2d]

The next two weeks move by slowly. I mostly stay at home, save for the select few outings I'm "allowed". Another doctor's appointment and a trip to Diagon Alley. The rest of my brothers know, although Mark and Leon don't really understand it much.

While my mom is at work during the day, I use the opportunity to call Phoebe. Charlie doesn't mind as long as I don't tie up the phone too much. I'd like to see her before I leave, but I don't think my mom will allow it. She's still super pissed.

"Are you sure I can't just sneak over?" I spoon some ice cream into my mouth.

"No, I don't want to risk it. She's mad but she isn't yelling at me and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm going to ask Charlie if he'll talk to her. It would seriously suck to go away without seeing you."

"I totally agree." I frown and look down at my bowl. "You're thinking. Fill me in."

"I just.. I'm scared about Monday. I'm going to see Keelan. I have to tell him. Phoebe - what if he freaks out? I don't know if I can do this without his support." I blink away some sudden tears.

"You listen to me, Annabel. Are you listening?"

"Yeah."

"If he leaves you, he's a right twat. But regardless you have everyone else with you 100%. You have support here and with you at your school. Send me a letter every day if you need to. I am here for you." I watch as tears fall into my bowl of ice cream.

"How am I supposed to leave?"

"The way you do every year, by the train. This year is no different."

"Except that I'm growing a person."

"Oh yeah, that." I smile, which I suspect was her goal.

"I love you Fee-bee."

"Oh, gross, don't." I laugh outright. Just then the clock chimes 2 PM.

"I should go. Mum will be home soon."

"Remember what I said, okay?"

"I will. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Bye, Bellie." I hang up and finish my ice cream before heading up to the bathroom for a shower. As I'm getting undressed, I turn sideways to the mirror to look at my reflection. There's a definite bump there now. I smooth my hands over my belly, wondering how the little being is doing. I heard the heartbeat on Monday and the doctor said it's growing along nicely. She told me that I'm due toward the middle of February. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to finish the year with an infant. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

+++

Monday September 01 [16w 0d]

I grip Phoebe tightly. We're at the train station and I'll soon be going through the barrier to Platform 9 3/4. It's almost 11 so I need to board the train soon. Phoebe holds me at arms length and smiles. "I expect a letter no later than tomorrow morning." I laugh and give her another quick hug.

"I've got to go. I'm supposed to be meeting Lena on the train and it's going to leave without me if I don't get my arse in gear." She lets me go.

"Okay, okay, get it in gear then. Have a safe trip."

"I will. Love you!" I grip my trolley and push it toward the barrier, getting up to a jog as I go through. I spot Lena almost instantly by her bright purple hair. "Lena!" She turns toward her name and when she sees me she breaks into a grin.

"Bell!" I walk up to her and we give each other a quick hug. "I've already secured a compartment. Come on, I'll help you with your stuff." We get my trunk and cat, Noodles, onto the train only minutes before it whistles, signalling its departure. "Sure cut it close." I sit and sink into the cushions.

"I know. Bloody terrible morning, let me tell you." Lena lets Noodles out of his carrier and he's off to do whatever it is he does. Lena sits across from me. "How was your summer?"

"Fantastic. Mum and dad surprised us with a trip to Italy. We stayed there for a month."

"Wow, that's fabulous." She nods.

"It was incredible. I'm sorry I didn't write." I wave off her apology.

"Oh, don't be."

"How did your summer go?"

"Well, it was interesting." Her eyebrows go up.

"Oh? Do tell." I am suddenly hesitant. Lena is my best friend at Hogwarts, but she's very conservative. She wears a purity ring and I know her opinions of premarital sex quite well.

"Promise not to freak, please." Her eyebrows knit together. One can always tell Lena's thoughts just by looking at her face.

"Promise. What is it?" Instead of telling her, I take my ultrasound photos out of my bag and hand them to her. She's confused for a second before she understands. Her eyes dart to me quickly before going back to the photos. "This is yours?"

"Yes." She hands the photos back to me.

"Wow. Congratulations, Bell."

"Are you freaking?" She shakes her head quickly.

"No, of course not! My views are for myself. Surely you must know that I'll never judge you, Bell." I smile a little. "If you're happy, then I'm happy."

"I'm not entirely happy, but the shock hasn't quite worn off. I expect that won't ever happen." She looks at me with a thoughtful expression.

"Does Keelan know?"

"No. He was on holidays all summer. I'm really nervous to tell him. I may have gotten to the train last minute because I know he shows up early."

"I saw him, actually. He was with Garrett and Orion." To be expected, as they're his friends. Although something tells me she isn't telling me everything.

"What else?" She looks away from me, so I know I'm onto something.

"He was hugging Penelope. I'm sure it's nothing."

"Penelope Lasks?" Lena nods. "Why is he hugging her?"

"I dunno, Bell. All I know is what I saw."

"No, of course."

"What about Draco?" I raise an eyebrow.

"What about him?" She shrugs.

"You two are friends."

"I wouldn't say we're friends. We study and hang out sometimes."

"Come on, you know what you've done for him." I shake my head.

"What have I done?" I know I'm playing stupid, but I decide to ignore it. Reality is, I consider Draco to be one of my closest friends. Even though he's in Slytherin and I'm a Muggle-born, we seem to connect. He's had some problems the past couple years with his family; his father especially. He's confided in me things that I'm sure he wouldn't tell his other friends. I know Keelan is jealous even though he has no reason to be. Draco is a friend and nothing more.

"If you're not going to admit it, I'm not going to spell it out for you." We lapse into silence for a little while. Lena pulls out a book and I make myself comfortable, hoping to get a nap in.

A while later I wake with a start, sweaty and cold. Lena is gone and I'm alone. I sit up and rub my eyes, trying to figure out what woke me. Before I can really think about it the compartment door opens and in saunters Draco Malfoy himself. "Well, well. Look who's neglecting her Prefect duties."

"Oh, shit, I completely forgot." Draco just gives me a look. I don't blame him. It isn't like me to forget something like this. He sits opposite me as I try to wake myself up. "How was your summer, Draco?" He rolls his eyes so hard it's a wonder they don't get stuck.

"It was bloody fantastic, is what it was. I was sent off to live with relatives in Ireland while my father did his 'business' at home. Like I give a flying shit what he's up to. Or like I don't already know. I wasn't even allowed home before coming to the train. Mother met me at the platform, if you can believe that." I don't say it out loud, but I definitely can. "How was yours?"

"It wasn't quite as fantastic, but it wasn't far off."

"Care to elaborate?" I cross my legs while shaking my head.

"Not yet. I need to talk with someone else first before I can tell you." To his credit, he looks hurt.

"Fine, fine, if you insist. I was actually joking before, by the way. Your rounds don't start for another hour or so." I shake my head again and roll my eyes.

"Got me all worried for nothing." Draco stands.

"See you around, Muggle."

"Later, Pure-snob." Noodles runs into the compartment as Draco opens the door. I hear him mumble something about useless, no good felines before the door shuts again. Noodles jumps onto my lap and nudges his head against my hand. "Hi, boy." No one should ever let an 11 year old name an animal. Poor thing will be stuck with a silly name for the rest of their life.

After giving Noodles some attention, I change into my robes and secure my Prefect badge. I was aiming for Head Girl but Melissa Dilly was awarded the title. Most all Ravenclaws are know-it-alls, but Melissa really outshines us all. I don't think she's gotten less than 100% on anything. Ever.

I'm relieved to see that I can't see my belly through the robes. The bump still isn't very big, but I don't need the added stress of worrying if people can tell. One worry down, only a million more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment