28 May 2017

SEHE; Chapter 22

After dinner is cleared off the table, but before dessert is served, mum places wine glasses in front of those old enough to drink. She pours red wine into each of the glasses and sits down, smiling at Nate and Becca. Nate takes Becca's hand and they smile at each other. "Bec and I have something to announce." He pauses for dramatic effect. "We're engaged." Mum raises her glass and motions for the rest of us to do the same.

"Let's toast their engagement! Cheers!" I pick my glass up and clink it against everyone else's, taking a sip of the bitter wine. I don't prefer red but it isn't too bad. Congratulations ensue. "Any idea on a date yet, hon?"

"Not yet. We're still considering our options." I notice a significant glance between the newly engaged couple and make a note to ask Nate about it later.

"Very smart. Are you going to plan your own wedding or have someone else help?" Becca sighs a little.

"My mum will probably help out."

"Well don't hesitate to ask me. I know a thing or two about weddings." I cringe internally. I know mum means well but her approach can be a little off sometimes. "How about dessert then?" Mum gets up and serves everyone dessert. It's my favourite cheesecake with a raspberry swirl and gingersnap crust. I take a bite and savour the taste.

The table seems a little awkward after that. The young boys finish up their slices and leave the table, going downstairs to play. I hear Cheyenne through the baby monitor and Jordan stands up before I can put my fork down. "I'll get her." He leaves the table and a minute later he can be heard through the monitor, speaking gently to Cheyenne who makes baby noises at him. I take my time and finish my cheesecake while mum and Charlie gather the dessert dishes and retreat to the kitchen.

I set my fork down and stare at Nate until he looks at me. "So, I saw that look." I can tell he's thinking about playing dumb but thinks better of it.

"We're eloping." My eyes widen. "We're not telling mum and neither are you."

"When? Where?" Becca clasps her hands on top of the table.

"Probably this summer. As for where, we haven't quite decided yet. I want Egypt but your stubborn brother is fighting me on it."

"Why? What's wrong with Egypt?" Nate shrugs.

"I just don't want to get married there. As a vacation, sure. Wedding, no." I roll my eyes and Becca chuckles.

"See! Completely unreasonable. So right now we have no idea where." Becca pauses and glances at Nate before continuing. "I don't have any siblings and I know we don't know each other, but Nathan and I both want you there." I sit back in my chair, feeling kind of shocked.

"You're serious?" They both nod. "Of course I will!" Becca's face splits into a grin.

"That's wonderful, thank you. I'm so happy to be gaining a sister in all of this." I realize now for the first time that as each of my brother's gets married, I'm going to get a sister as well. Maybe only sister-in-law, but a sister nonetheless. Finally. Before I can tell her how happy I am about it mum walks back into the dining room with some work papers and sits at the table. I remove myself from the room and go upstairs to check on Jordan and the baby. To my surprise they have both fallen asleep on the rocking chair in my room. I quietly collect my camera and snap a photo before leaving them alone.

+++

"Give me my baby." I roll my eyes but smile as Phoebe goes straight for Cheyenne and hardly even notices me. I've come to learn that's how it is as a mother with a baby. Phoebe hugs Cheyenne close and grins at me. She's entirely in her element while caring for children and I wouldn't be surprised if she and Gabe have ten kids.

"Well hello to you too." Phoebe leads me upstairs after I sling Cheyenne's bag over my shoulder. We're at her house as mine is feeling a tad cramped lately. Becca has been staying at our house a lot and Jordan has apparently decided to become a hermit. It's nice and quiet during the day but absolutely crowded after school and working hours. Phoebe offered for us to stay at her place for a few days. "You're sure Dillon and Margaret are good with this?" Phoebe nudges her door open with her foot and it swings open.

"Are you kidding? You probably won't see Chey the entire time you're here because they'll hog her. Be prepared for a kidnapping." I chuckle and set the bag on the floor beside Phoebe's bed then sit down heavily.

"Well be prepared to not sleep for the next few days. She's been very grumpy."

"So you sleep while I take her out." I shake my head and start to protest but she cuts me off. "Don't give me that. You have no say in this matter. She's my godbaby and I want to show her off." I sigh, knowing I've been overruled.

"Fine, fine, take my baby while I selfishly indulge in sleep." Phoebe grins and nods.

"Exactly. Rest up and we'll be back later." She collects Cheyenne's bag and leaves the room, shutting the door behind her. A few minutes later I hear the front door close as they leave the house. I look around and wonder what to do with myself. Even when Cheyenne sleeps during the day I find it hard to shut my brain down to do the same.

I look at Phoebe's selection of books and pick one, making myself comfy on her bed to start in on it. Halfway through the 5th chapter there's a tapping at the window. I look up to see a strange owl and get up to open the window and let him in. After I retrieve my letter the owl flies off into the chilly afternoon. I close the window and tear the envelope open, sitting on the bed while I read it.

I apologize in advance for the briefness of my letter. I'm not supposed to be writing anyone at all but I couldn't leave you in the dark.

Obviously I cannot go into detail so all I can say is that you are not to worry about me. I am safe, no matter what you may read in the papers.

I'm also sorry that I cannot write to you again for a while and please do not write to me. Do not put yourself in unnecessary danger.

I love you.


There's no signature but I know who sent it. I'd know the graceful, careful script anywhere. I shudder out a sigh and read the letter over a second and third time. His words were meant to sooth but they do the opposite and I can't help the ball of worry and fear that lodges itself into my stomach. And I suspect it won't go away until I hear word from Draco again.

I search Phoebe's desk for a pen and paper to write Lena. I need information and I know she can give me at least something. Hopefully enough to lessen the tightness in my chest. Before I'm even done I hear another tap at the window and look up to see Hector. I open it quickly and he flies in. Tears suddenly well up behind my eyes and I stroke his wings as he nudges my arm, his eyes closed. "Smart, wonderful bird. Good boy." He hoots softly and flies over to Phoebe's dresser, landing on the top, presumably to let me finish my letter. After I finish it and Hector flies off I decide on some tea, knowing sleep will never come if I don't calm myself a little.

Being best friends with someone for roughly 12 years means I'm well acquainted with the inner workings of their house. I locate the fixings for tea well enough and am just pouring myself a cup when Dillon, Phoebe's dad, walks into the house. "Hey there, Bell. Phoebe mentioned you'd be here." I smile as I wrap my fingers around the warm cup.

"I hope that's all right." He waves a hand while setting a briefcase on the table.

"Nonsense, you know you're always welcome here, hon. Where are Phoebe and that charming young lady?"

"Phoebe kidnapped her and left a ransom note. A trillion pounds and we get to see her on weekends." Dillon laughs as he pours himself some tea. "Home for lunch?"

"Yes. Sorry, I've just remembered a phone call I forgot to make before leaving the office. Please excuse me." He takes his briefcase and tea into his office and shuts the door behind him. I finish my own cup and rinse it out before going back to Phoebe's room. I lay down, not expecting to fall asleep but exhaustion wins out in the end.

+++

Dearest Bee,

He didn't tell me anything really. He's safe and will contact you when he's able.

Take care of yourself and your family. It's scary out there.

We're all coping here. It's difficult and I'm glad you aren't here, as much as I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment