28 May 2017

SEHE; Chapter 23

"Another unexplained death has surfaced this morning. Investigators suspect it's linked to the other random deaths popping up throughout the country but there have been no leads or links between any of them. Further-" I shut the radio off, shaking slightly.

"Bell, we were listening to that." A sudden anger fills me and I stand before I realize what I'm doing.

"No! I refuse to have these deaths reported to me when I know what's going on and who's doing it. These could be people I know, mum. People I went to school with! Don't you realize that? These may not be strangers to me." I pause while Charlie and my mum sit, staring at me as I break down. I can feel it yet don't know how to stop it. "One of my teachers was killed simply because of the subject she taught. She was a great teacher and a lovely woman and she was murdered!" I sink to the floor, my legs unable to hold me up.

"Draco's family is in the middle of this. He refused to join them and was branded a coward and is now in hiding until it's over. I haven't gotten a letter in weeks. I don't know if he's dead or alive and have no way of finding out. My friends at school are being beaten and tortured. An insane maniacal bastard has taken over the government all while I sit at home, safe and sound, listening to their deaths on the damned radio. No." I start crying then. Big, hard tears that fall from my eyes onto the floor. I feel my mom's hand on my shoulder and close my eyes.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry. I didn't realize how close to home this is for you. I'm glad you're home though, honey. If not then I'd be one of those worried parents, wondering if you're okay." My anger has been waning at her words but it resurfaces now. I break from her hand and stand roughly while she looks at me in shock.

"You don't get it. The only reason I'm home is because I was stupid enough to get pregnant. I could just as easily be there with them. You may not worry about me but I'm sick with fear for what's happening to each of them. I could tell you what they're going through but I don't want to give you nightmares, too." I turn and stalk out of the living room, almost running into Jordan, who is descending the stairs, and slam the back door on my way out. I think briefly of Cheyenne but know she's fine with everyone at the house. I need a few moments to get myself under control so I decide a walk is a good idea.

About halfway down the block I hear footsteps behind me and turn to see Jordan jogging to catch up. When he stops in front of me a fresh surge of tears make their way down my face and I lean into him as he wraps his arms around me. "What's going on, baby sister?" I just shake my head, knowing I wouldn't be able to explain right now if I wanted to. So we stand on the sidewalk in silence for a long amount of time while I cry out my worries, frustrations, fears and grief. When the tears stop Jordan falls beside me and we make our way back to the house. "I told her to just let you be when you come back." I nod and smile up at my brother.

It's quiet inside the house, save for Cheyenne making noises at Nate. She's been close to giving her first real belly laugh for a few days now and everyone has been trying to get it out of her. I have a feeling it's going to be Mark that does it. Nate looks up as I come into the living room and sit beside him on the floor. Cheyenne is in her little bouncy chair and wiggles when she sees me, letting out a big shriek. I laugh and press her tiny feet to my cheeks. Her presence is calming and I feel a hundred times better than I did an hour ago. Jordan sits beside Nate and I on the floor and smiles at his niece. I sigh, knowing it's time to explain now.

"Did you guys hear any of what I'd said?" They glance at each other and then both nod. "From what Lena has told me, some crazy wackos have taken over the school and are using the torture curse on the students in detentions. There are three unforgivable curses; this being one of them. Another is a mind control curse. While under it you do exactly as the castor wills you to do, no matter what it is. The last one is the killing curse. That one is pretty self explanatory. I'm telling you this to tell you just how horrid this all is. The torture curse used against children! It's disgusting! Cheyenne accidentally hits herself in the face and I smile a little despite the topic of conversation.

"If it wasn't for her, I would be there right along with them all. The fact that I'm not does nothing to make me feel better. It makes me feel worse because I can't support and comfort anyone. All of their parents and loved ones worry themselves to death while mum sits here feeling happy that I'm not one of them. She doesn't understand it. All of the people that are being killed, I know at least a few of them. My own teacher was one because she taught Muggle Studies." I pause, collecting my thoughts.

"And Draco is in hiding. I don't know when I'll hear from him again, if I even do. Cheyenne might grow up without her dad because he was brave enough to stand up for what he believes in. She may never know him and it kills me." Since I'd cried myself out earlier no tears fall this time. I suspect I'm too tired to cry anymore. "She just doesn't get it" I lean against Jordan's shoulder and Nate takes my hand. To distract myself from my own life I look at Nate and motion my head toward Jordan. "Does he know?" It takes him a second but he understands and nods.

"Yes." A genuine smile lights my face.

"When is it, have you decided?"

"June, I think. Her granddad's birthday was in June and she wants to honour him since he can't be there."

"That's quick." Nate nods and shrugs.

"It is, but we love each other, so why not now? Everything we've watched you go through, Bell, has just confirmed that we shouldn't wait."

Jordan has been quiet thus far but pipes up, "And where are we going?"

"We finally decided on Thailand. Better brush up on your Thai." I sit up straight.

"You are absolutely kidding." When Nate shakes his head I tackle him into a hug. "No way! This is amazing!" Nate and Jordan both laugh as I sit up.

"The other two places we considered were Turkey and Spain. Thailand won out by a slim margin. And don't worry about the money, either of you. We've got it all covered. Ticket are bought, hotels are booked, everything is going along great."

"Are we allowed a plus one?" I glance over at Jordan before looking back at Nate.

"I'll ask Bec about that. We want it to be very small and intimate for the ceremony. We'll have a big reception for everyone else later on."

"Oh, I'm so honoured that you've chosen me." Nate smiles at me and Jordan.

"Of course you're coming. I wouldn't get married without you two there."

"Is Cheyenne coming?" Nate shrugs.

"That's up to you, I suppose. We don't care if she comes. She'd look way too adorable in a little flower girl dress though." I smile and look down at her. Apparently the lack of attention has bored her enough to fall asleep.

"I'll bet Phoebe would love to spend a few days with her. I'll ring her and ask." I get up and head to the kitchen, grabbing the handset and dialing Phoebe's number. Her mum answers. "Hi Marge, is Phoeb there?"

"Sure hang on." A minute later Phoebe is on the line.

"Hey Bellie." I roll my eyes and chuckle.

"When are you going to let that ridiculous nickname go?"

She cackles. "Never! So what's up? How's my baby?" I sit on a kitchen chair and tuck my feet under my bum.

"Your baby is perfectly fine. She's going to laugh any day now, I can just feel it."

"I miss her. When are you coming by?" I look at the calendar on the fridge and the clock on the wall.

"Tonight? We could order dinner and pretend we're teenagers."

"Gabe is coming tonight. Is that okay?"

"When do you ever ask?" We both chuckle. "I had a question for you so that works out great."

"What type of question?"

"I'll explain and ask you later. Cheyenne's just fallen asleep but probably won't nap for long. How's 3 o'clock?"

"That sounds good. I'm just finishing up an essay and I'm all yours for the evening. I'll have Gabe bring crisps and soft drinks."

"Okay, see you soon."

+++

"So what was your question, Bell?" Cheyenne, Phoebe, Gabe and I are in Phoeb's living room. She's holding Cheyenne and I'm spread out on the floor.

"Oh Gods I almost forgot. Nate and Becca are getting married and-" Before I can finish Phoebe lets out a squeal. "And. They're eloping in Thailand in June."

"Wow, that's quick!" I look over at her as Gabe chuckles.

"Can I finish?" Phoebe makes a show of locking her mouth shut. "They've asked me and Jordan to be there for the ceremony. Jord asked if we're allowed to bring someone so I think we'll finally get to meet his mysterious lady friend. I asked if Cheyenne is coming and they don't care either way. So I thought I would ask you first if you'd like to spend some time with your baby."

"You asked me first?" I nod and smile up at her.

"Of course I did, you dunderhead. Nate said the 29th, it's a Monday."

"I'll make it work. Oh, I'm so happy." She gives Gabe a sly glance and I laugh.

"No babies for you two. For a long time." Phoebe grins at me.

"Don't worry there. No immediate plans for any of that."

"Good. They're cute but a hell of a lot of work. I'm exhausted."

"This trip will be good for you then. Rest, get lots of sleep. Is Draco going with you?" I hesitate, not knowing how to answer. I haven't told her the extent of what's going on in the wizarding world. It isn't her burden to bare and I don't want to worry her.

"I'm not sure. I suppose it depends on what his plans are after the term ends." She gives me an odd look.

"Surely he would come right to see you. When did you last see him?"

"After Cheyenne was born."

"I can't imagine he would want to wait."

"His family may want to do something. I don't know." She doesn't push, and for that I am grateful. As expected I haven't gotten any word from Draco. Lena has sent me two letters, both short, both just to let me know they're all fine. I've sent more pictures, hoping to brighten their day a little bit at least.

Suddenly Gabe stands up. "Okay, whose for pizza?"

No comments:

Post a Comment