21 September 2011

Mind Over Matter, Chapter 14

I wake up to an alarm buzzing in my room. I look around tiredly to see that it's 7 in the morning. I mentally shake my head, mutter a few curses, and throw the blanket off while contemplating throwing the alarm clock out the window. Instead I grab my toothbrush, open my door and turn to see Tessa waiting at the bathroom. I walk up to her and she turns to me.

"Sam can take a while, you're in for a long wait." I look over at the door and then knock at it.

"Uh, someone's in here."

"I'm well aware. There are two people out here that need to use the bathroom, so hurry it up."

"I'll take as long as I damn well please." I roll my eyes and turn away from the door.

"There's another bathroom on the main floor, right?" Tessa nods. "Why don't you go use that one? I'll use the guy's." She looks at me oddly for a second before walking down the hall and down the stairs. I think about telling Sam where she can stuff it, but I don't have the energy. I'm still exhausted even though I slept almost 12 hours lastnight.

Instead, I head down the stairs to the guy's floor. I spy the open bathroom door and make a run for it, beating Will by only a second or two. "Don't you have a bathroom up there?" I lock the door and smile.

"Yeah but it's out of order at the moment, so I'm using yours. I won't be long." I hear grumbling from the other side of the door but ignore it, taking my time as I brush my teeth. I open the door to see Will glaring at me.

"'Bout damn time, jeez. Move." He shoves past me and slams the door in my face. I roll my eyes and turn as I hear an alarm still going off. I investigate and come to a closed door. I assume it's Zee's and knock loudly. When no one answers I open it and peek my head in. I snicker when my eyes come to Zee laying on his bed, the blanket and pillow on the floor. I shut the alarm off and walk over to his bed, pondering how to wake him up.

I catch his arm moving just a second before it grabs my leg. I jump so I don't land on the floor on my ass, and land directly on his stomach. It knocks the wind out of him and I take advantage, rolling him over and pinning his arms behind his back. It doesn't take him long to wiggle out from under me and pin me to the floor.

"Give?" We're both breathing heavy from the impromptu wrestling match.

"Yeah, give." He lets me go and sits beside me, leaning back against the bed.

"You're a tough little thing." I glare up at him.

"I'm not that little."

"You're what.. 5 foot?" I stick my nose in the air.

"Yes, if you must know." He reaches down to ruffle my hair, but doesn't have much success since it's still in the braid from lastnight. I bat his hand away anyway. I hate it when people touch my head.

"That's pretty little, compared to me." I size him up.

"I'll beat you next time. You won't see me coming."

"I'm a ninja, dear. You're lucky you caught me this time." I roll my eyes and use him to push myself to my feet. I don't have a brother, but this is what I'd always imagined having one would be like. This makes me think of Sophie back home. She's the only thing I regret leaving, especially with my parents. The thought makes me sad. "You okay?" I look up at Zee, which I still think is a stupid name.

"Yeah, just thinking of my sister back home." He pats my shoulder.

"How old is she?" I follow him out of his room and he leans against the wall near the bathroom. Will is still in there.

"Seven, but she has a few problems that hold her back a lot. Mentally she's about four." Zee smiles sympathetically.

"I have an Autistic step-brother, so I know all about that." Just then the bathroom door opens, allowing Zee his morning time. I'm thankful for that, since this conversation was going down a dangerous road, one I don't like to talk about. Even Jarrod doesn't know all of the details.

I walk down the stairs and head to the kitchen, grabbing a bowl and spoon from the middle of the table. I survey my options. Oatmeal or cereal. I've never been a fan of oatmeal, so I pick Shredded Wheat and fill my bowl, adding milk and taking a seat at the counter instead of the table. I'm the only one in here so I think quietly to myself for a few minutes.

I don't know how I'm so comfortable with Zee already. Letting him massage my feet and wrestling him this morning? Not my typical behaviour with a guy I hardly know. I only did that stuff with Jarrod because I liked him, and I definitely don't like Zee that way. Speaking of Jarrod, he didn't even come to say goodbye to me before I left. Becca came by once everyday for an hour or two. But Jarrod, nothing. I still don't know what happened with him. I'd like to get some phone service and text him, but who knows if he'd text me back.

Just then Zee and Will walk into the kitchen, seeming to be in a serious discussion. I'm sitting in the corner of the kitchen, kind of hidden behind the pantry door, so they don't see me when they walk in, and I can't help but listen.

"What is wrong with you, man? She isn't even here for 24 hours and you're already all over her?"

"It's not like that, and you know it."

"Look, I know she reminds you of Crystal, but she's not her, okay?" Will grabs a banana from the table and almost sees me. "She's probably got a boyfriend at home anyway. All girls like her do." I narrow my eyes.

"Girls like her?" I hear Will sigh.

"Yeah, you know, pretty little girls like her. They all get guys like you to fall for them and then shove it in your face. Just watch yourself, is all I'm saying." Will leaves the kitchen and Zee sits at the table, his back to me. I don't know what to do. If I move now he'll know I heard everything, but if I don't he or someone else will find me here and I'll be accused of eavesdropping.

Turns out I don't have to make the decision because he gets up and leaves the kitchen. I sigh and bring my bowl to the sink, rinsing it out and setting it on the counter. Well, what the hell was that about?

No comments:

Post a Comment