07 October 2011

The Boy Next Door, Chapter 4

"You do know how completely lame we're going to sound, right?"

"You, not we." I roll my eyes and think briefly of running but Lyss is holding my arm and her other hand is making it's way to knock at the door. Before I can grab it she knocks and 'coming!' is called from inside the house. A minute later Mrs Findlay opens the door.

"Oh, hi girls. What brings you over tonight?" I glance back at Lyssa before answering.

"We were wondering if Adrian is home?" Mrs Findlay smiles and ushers us into her front hall. I've never been inside her house before, so this is interesting.

"He just got home. I'll just let him know you're here." Once she's out of sight I turn back to Lyssa and glare at her. I know she's wondering why I'm being so weird about this. And honestly, I have no idea. I usually have no problems telling someone what I think or feel about them, boys included. Lyss nods behind me and I turn back around to see Adrian coming down the stairs. Shirtless. Oh God. I almost yelp when Alyssa pinches my arm.

"Oh, hey Alyssa, Emma. How're you two tonight?" I have a hard time keeping my eyes from straying from his face, so Lyss answers for us.

"We're good. Em, didn't you have something to ask?" I catch my eyes before they travel too far down.

"What? Oh, uhm, yeah. I was wondering if you had plans for tonight, right?" Lyss pokes my back hard. "Ow."

"Nope. Not yet, at least." Lyssa squeezes my arm so I shake it away from her.

"Well, if you don't mind hanging out with us, we could show you around town." Adrian smiles. He looks slightly amused.

"Sure, sounds good. Just give me a few minutes to change and I'll meet you outside." I watch as he walks back up the stairs. I sigh and let Alyssa pull me back outside.

"This was such a bad idea. I'm not going to be able to concentrate with him around, looking all greek godlike."

"You'll be just fine. So where are we going to take him?" I shrug.

"You're the mastermind, not me, remember? I'm the victim here." Lyss rolls her eyes.

"Oh please. You didn't look so victim while you were in there, staring at him."

"Shut up. So where are we going?"

"Club Domino?"

"We don't even know if he likes going to clubs."

"Well then ask him."

"Why don't you ask him."

"Ask me what?" Lyss and I turn around to see Adrian standing in the door, pulling on his left shoe. Thankfully with a shirt this time. Lyss elbows me.

"We, uhm we were wondering if you like going to clubs? Club Domino opened a few weeks ago." He glances at Lyss.

"Aren't you underage?" She puffs up.

"That's for me to know and you to find out. Besides, I'm friends with a guy that makes fake I.D's." Adrian chuckles as we all head down the street. We live in a pretty quiet part of town, but we're only two blocks away from the downtown area.

"So you volunteered at that thing tonight?" I glance over at Adrian as he sticks his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah. When I told grandma I was coming into town for the summer she hooked me up with a few jobs and such." Wow, it's weird hearing someone call Mrs Findlay 'grandma'.

"Have a girlfriend?" I give Lyss a quick glare while Adrian chuckles.

"Nope. I'm going away to school for the summer so it didn't seem right to start something when it'd have to end soon anyway."

"Which school are you going to?"

"Heard of McMaster?" Lyss elbows me so hard I actually stop and poke her forehead.

"Would you stop nudging me already?" She just smiles and pulls my arm to keep walking.

"Well well, that's interesting. Emma is going there this September." Adrian gives me a surprised glance as we turn a corner into the downtown.

"Really? What are you majoring in?" I feel myself blushing.

"Music, actually. I'm a band geek. You?"

"Journalism mostly." I'm about to ask him another question when Lyss yawns loudly and obnoxiously.

"Boring. Anyway, I'm going to call Dusty and see if he wants to come. I'll catch up with you in a second." She walks down the block a bit more and stops, phone to her ear. I glance over at Adrian and give him a smile.

"You'll learn quick that she needs to be the centre of attention at all times." He smiles and I feel my chest flip.

"Oh, I'm beginning to see that already." I chuckle.

"Just you wait. You're in for a treat."

"Well he's lame and not coming, so I guess it's just us three." Lyss steers us both into the direction of the club we're going to. Suddenly, I don't feel like going out at all. I feel like going to a quiet coffee shop and asking Adrian every question that pops into my head.

While Lyss babbles on about what's she's heard of this club I sigh. I can already tell this is going to be a long night and it hasn't even started yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment