07 October 2011

Someone Else's Happy Ending, Chapter 14

Monday January 19th [36 w 0 d]

I yawn, stretch as best my big belly will allow, and turn onto my left side. I open my eyes when my face comes into contact with a piece of paper.

Bell,

You were sleeping when I left and I didn't want to wake you. I have a few things to tell you, so I'll see you at lunch.

Draco


I yawn again and look at my watch. 10:19. I get up and shuffle over to the bathroom. I pee and take a shower, deciding to do my hair today. I french braid it and waddle back to my bedroom, picking something to wear for the day. I usually just wear my p.j's since I don't go anywhere, but today I pick out a nice pair of jeans and a flirty t-shirt. Draco rarely tells me anything personal so this must be big.

I sit around and read until I see the portrait swing open. Draco walks in just as Libby gives me lunch. Mac and cheese and a glass of orange juice. "Will Mr Malfoy being wanting any lunch?" Draco shakes his head as he sits on the love seat across the coffee table. Libby hops off as I take a gulp of my juice and look at him.

"So?"

"How does your back feel?"

"It's fine. You're stalling." Actually, my back has been cramping for a few days. It's gotten worse since I woke up this morning. After lunch I'm going to go see Madame Pomfrey to see if there's something she can do for the pain. Draco runs a hand through his hair.

"It's not exactly the easiest thing to say, Bell." My stomach does a flip flop.

"You're not de-friending me, are you?" He looks up at me.

"No! Of course not. That's not it at all." I take a few bites of my lunch while Draco doesn't tell me what he wants to say. I sit forward a bit to take another sip or juice and get a sudden cramp in my stomach.

"Ow.." Draco looks sharply at me.

"What?" I put a hand on my back.

"It's nothing. Just another cramp. Go on, tell me what you want to tell me." He sighs. My stomach tightens up again but I ignore the pain, intent on getting Draco to tell me.

"Well, I just figured, that since Richards isn't around, and we're good friends, that I'd kinda stick around once she's born and, you know, help out. If you want me to." He takes so many pauses between words that it's hard to focus on what he's just said. While I'm trying to figure it out another pain makes me curl up around my belly. "Bell, are you okay?" I gasp.

"No. I'm not. Get me to Madame Pomfrey. Please." I pause while my stomach tightens painfully again. "Libby! Go and tell Madame Pomfrey that we're coming right now. Go!" She rushes off while Draco helps me to my feet. He walks me to the hospital wing, stopping every few feet for me to catch my breath. The door opens as we come to it, Madame Pomfrey ushering us in and to the closest bed. They help me onto the bed and I lay back, clutching my stomach, crying from the pain. "Make it stop. I can't take this."

"I'm sorry dear, but I don't have the equipment here for a delivery. You'll have to be transferred to St Mungo's."

"What? No. This is still too early! I'm not due for another month! I am not.." I can't finish telling her I'm not having this baby as another, stronger, wave of pain hits me. I grab onto Draco's hand for dear life. He strokes my forehead.

"Shhh, Bella. It's all right."

"Don't you even Draco Malfoy! I do not want to hear how all right this is! Where's Keelan? I want to kill him! He did this to me, he's going to die!"

"I couldn't agree with you more Bella, but you've got to calm down. You don't want your baby under stress, right? Breathe, Bella, breathe." I'm about to tell Draco off again when another contraction hits.

"Draco, I can't do this. It hurts.."

"I know love, just breathe."

"Okay dears, we're going to St Mungo's and you're going to have your baby today."

"No, I can't have her today. She's not supposed to come yet. Her room's not ready. I'm not ready.." Draco takes my face in his hand and makes me look at him.

"Bella, you're more than ready for this! You've been waiting months to see your little girl. You're going to be great!" I start crying again, but not from the pain this time. In that moment I suddenly realize how great Draco's been. He's been there every step of the way. "You hear me? You're going to love that little girl, and she's going to love you!" Before second guessing it, I grab his neck and bring him down and kiss him.

Which is the last thing I remember before blacking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment