03 October 2011

Someone Else's Happy Ending, Chapter 13

Friday January 9th [34 w 4 d]

"Miss Leed?" I look up from my book to see McGonagall opening the door.

"Yeah?" She steps in the room, her hands clasped together.

"Your new living quarters are finally ready. If you'd like, you can come down and see them now. I apologize that they weren't done sooner." I mark my page and grab my robe. I'm grateful that everyone's in classes cause I look slightly ridiculous when I walk. My belly seems to be getting bigger by the hour. "Some house elves will be along later to bring your personal things down. One will be assigned to live with you to help with meals and cleaning since you're on bed rest."

It's slow going down to my little apartment within the school. It's weird walking more than 20 steps, since that's all I've been doing for the past two weeks. It's also worse cause this school has so many damn stairs. "I'll be living near the hospital wing?"

"Yes. If you're alone and go into labour we don't want to risk you having your baby on the stairs." Makes sense.

"Is anyone allowed to visit me?" She gives me a sideways look.

"Certainly." We finally make it to the little apartment. "The password is jellybeans but you can change it any time you like. Just know that if you do it will automatically show up on the master list of passwords." I chuckle.

"There's a master list?" She ignores me, instead giving the painting (a bowl of jellybeans) the password. It slides open and I enter first. The first room I come to is a nicely sized living room. Off to the left there's a kitchen, attached to that a small dining room. In the right corner of the living room is a hallway with 3 doors. Behind one of the doors is what I assume to be my bedroom, behind one is a bathroom, and behind the last is a smaller room, which will be the nursery.

"So, what do you think?" I walk back into the living room.

"It's great, thank you." I start crying, much to my surprise and Professor McGonagall's. "I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm crying."

"Oh nonsense, don't apologize to me." It takes a few minutes but I finally stop bawling. "Your dormitory bed will be brought down for you along with your trunk shortly." I look around at the empty rooms, an emotion I can't place running through me. How am I going to afford all of the stuff I'll need? Why did I leave this until last minute?

"Can I have the rooms painted? I don't like the white all over very much."

"Of yes, of course. What colours would you like?" I shrug, looking around.

"I'd like the nursery to be a light pink. I'm not sure about the other rooms yet."

"Think on it and let me know." I nod, rubbing my belly as the baby kicks me. I realized that there was no need to worry about her. It's like she's trying to make up for the time she wasn't kicking the crap out of my insides. "Madame Pomfrey has requested to see you today once you're ready to go over."

"Did she say why?"

"Just a routine checkup. She wants to make sure that your baby isn't under any stress." I nod and look around again. I walk out of the apartment, deciding to change the password later. McGonagall walks me to the hospital wing, opening the door for me. I head over to the same bed, noticing a small step stool beside it. I laugh to myself, using it to get up on the bed.

**

Saturday January 17th [35 w 5 d]

"What about this one?" I point to a dark brown crib, showing Draco.

"I like it better than the other one you picked."

"Me too. Crib, check. What's next?" Draco looks at the list I've put together of baby items that I still need.

"Bassinet?" I flip through the pages, looking for the bassinets. I've been in my little apartment for just over a week. Right now Draco and I are looking through catalogues, looking for my baby furniture.

"Should I get everything to match?" He nods. "Okay, then it's this one. Bassinet, check. Next."

"Change table." I flip through and mark off the matching change table.

"Check. Next?" We go through my list, picking out a rocking chair, a stroller, dresser and car seat. I have no idea how I'm going to afford it all. Babies are so expensive. Once done I pick up another catalogue, this one for clothes, blankets and baby necessities. I pick a bunch of sleepers and cute outfits, lots and lots of diapers and wipes, and some bottles. "Could you go send these off for me?" I hand him a slip of paper with my account info on it.

"Sure thing Bella. I'll be back soon." Once he's gone I rub my back and sink down in the couch.

"Would miss be liking anything?" As if on cue, my stomach rumbles, telling me I'm hungry.

"Sure. What do you got?"

"Would miss like a sandwich?"

"Yes, I think I'd like one. A BLT would be great." Libby, my house elf, goes off to make my sandwich while I make a trip to the bathroom. After I finish up and walk out to the kitchen my sandwich and a big glass of milk is waiting for me on the counter, Libby nowhere to be seen. I pick up the sandwich and glass of milk and head back to the couch. It's still weird having someone cater to my every need, but it's nice, too. She's nice to talk to at 3 in the morning when I can't sleep and no one else is here.

I'm just about done my milk when Draco walks back in. "You didn't change it this time." I grin. For the past week I've been sending Draco off to do something just so I can change the password on him. He gets really mad when I do it, saying "What if something happened and I was stuck out there!" I keep telling him I could just get Libby to open it, but he's irrational.

"Naw, thought I'd put you through enough for this week. You get weekends off." He rolls his eyes and plunks down at my feet. I wiggle my toes. "Foot rub?" He feigns annoyance but does it anyway. I think he secretly likes rubbing my feet and massaging my back. Of course he'd never tell me that.

"Better?" I nod, relaxing into the couch.

"Much. My feet have been killing me lately. Same with my back, it's been cramping on and off for like two days now."

"Have you asked Madame Pomfrey about it?" I close my eyes.

"No. I'm still not due for another month. It's probably just nothing." He hmm's in response.

"Bella?"

"Hmm?"

"Wanna move to the bed? It's probably more comfortable than the couch. Especially if your back is bothering you." I hadn't realized I was even tired, let alone falling asleep, but now I feel completely exhausted. Draco helps me to the bed and pulls the covers over me as I lay down. He pauses then kisses my forehead. I grab his hand.

"Stay with me?" He hesitates but pulls the blankets back and slides in behind me. As I'm falling asleep he slides his hand over my belly and kisses my shoulder.

"Goodnight, Bella"

No comments:

Post a Comment