08 November 2011

The Boy Next Door, Chapter 8

I close my phone and smile. All things considered, hanging out with Adrian all day is going to be kind of nice. I'm still sticking with what I said about a summer fling, but if we're going to the same university, why not see where it goes?

I shut it from my mind for the moment and go back downstairs. As I'm walking down the hallway I hear a voice yelling from my dad's study. I roll my eyes as I listen to Bren rant about how ungrateful I am, how spoiled I am, blah blah blah.

Sure I may act like a bitch toward her, but I think I have every right. She was trying to lure my dad into an affair while my parents were together, and then just moved right on in after my mom left. She treats her daughter like a queen and rarely ever talks to me unless it's to belittle or criticize me in some way.

My dad tries to stick up for me, but there's only so much he can do short of kick her out. And honestly, I think he depends on her in some weird way. He tries to hide it, but I can tell he's not over my mom leaving. I still catch him staring at the phone as if it'll ring and she'll be on the other end.

I sigh, shake my head, and grab another bottle of water from the fridge. I'm about to get another fork when there's a knock at the door. Expecting it to be Adrian, I stand behind it and say 'we don't want any of what you're selling, sir!'. Mature, I know. My jaw just about drops when I hear Lyssa's mom on the other side of the door.

"Emma? Could you open the door, please?" I yank the door open to see April, Lyssa's mom, standing on the front porch with her husband and two police officers behind them.

"Uh, hi. What's going on?"

"Your step-mom called me, told me that Alyssa is here and in some kind of trouble. Only told me that you told her she got into a fight last night." My heart starts to race and I feel kind of wobbly on my feet. You have no idea what kind of trouble your daughter is in. "Can I come in please?" I'm about to tell her that Lyssa's not here when Bren comes up behind me and grabs the door.

"Don't be rude, Emma. Let them in." I stand aside and watch as Bren invites the two people I want to see least in the world right now. All I know is they cannot see Lyssa. Luckily for me I hear my cell ringing at that very moment. Relieved beyond words I sprint up the stairs and slam my door behind me, grabbing my phone and jerking it to my ear.

"Yes?"

"I was about to head over when I saw the police pull up. Something going on?"

"Adrian, I think I'm in a bit of trouble."

"What's wrong?"

"I can't tell you." I hear voices downstairs, sounding as if they're moving toward the stairs.

"If I can help you, you need to tell me what's going on." I lock my door as I hear the footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Listen, you can not repeat this to anyone. If you do I will seriously hurt you. Long story short I'm almost positive Lyss was raped last night. She walked here from wherever the guy dropped her off and is now sleeping on my bed. Brenda called her mom, who in turn showed up with the police because I told Bren Lyss got into a fight last night." There's silence on the other end of the phone and voices on the other side of my door. "I don't know what to do here Adrian."

"Hold on for like five minutes, I'll be right over." I'm about to yell that five minutes it too long when I hear the click that means he hung up. I close my phone, smack myself in the face a couple times, and jump when there's a knock at my door.

"Emma, let us in please." Thinking quick I rush into the bathroom, make sure the other door is still locked, and turn on the shower. I go back to my bedroom door and hold the knob, even though it's locked as well.

"Sorry, Lyss is showering." I hear mumbling and one pair of footsteps backing away down the hall. No doubt going to the other door to the bathroom.

"Let me in, Emma."

"It's my room and I'm not letting you in. Lyss is showering, her parents will just have to wait." More mumbling. I take a quick peek at Lyssa and sigh with relief that she's not awake to hear this. I just about jump to the moon when there's a knock at my bedroom window.

No comments:

Post a Comment