12 November 2011

The Boy Next Door, Chapter 9

I spin around to see Adrian looking into my bedroom from outside. I hurry over and yank up the window to see him standing on a ladder. I give a small prayer that my bedroom faces the backyard and help him into my room. When he starts pulling the ladder up I stare at him like he's insane.

"What are you doing? There's no room for that in here." He chuckles.

"It's a slide in, folding type of ladder. Watch." I do as he says and am amazed to see that, when folded in on itself, the ladder is about a third of the height it was just seconds ago.

"Well, that's seriously cool." He props it against my dresser.

"Hang around me long enough, you'll see plenty of cool things." I snort before remembering that everyone is standing outside my door while Lyss is supposed to be showering. I walk over to my bed and shake Lyssa a little.

"I really hate to have to do this Lyssa, but you need to wake up. Come on." I shake her a little harder and she jumps, startling both Adrian and I.

"Whaazzitt?"

"Lyss, don't freak out, just listen okay?" She rolls onto her back and stares up at me like she's seeing light for the first time. I sit on the bed beside her and take her hand. "Are you listening?" She nods. "Okay, I told Bren you got into a fight last night and she called your mom." Her eyes go wide and she starts to sit up but I push her back down. "Don't worry, I haven't said anything to them."

"What's wrong then?" I glance up at Adrian.

"Well, your mom and Jake brought two cops, who are all standing outside my door right now. I told them you're taking a shower, which means you'll have to get wet again, to prove I was telling the truth." This time she sits up before I can stop her.

"They called the cops?!"

"Lyss, calm down. You're showering, remember?" She nods and starts getting out of bed. "Where are you going?"

"To shower, right?" I could smack myself in the face, but refrain and help her out of bed. She's shaking and can barely walk, so I help her to the bathroom. I look back at Adrian as he's sitting on the bed, looking around my room.

I help Lyss through a second shower and dress her in some of my long p.j's. Her bruises are worse in the short amount of time she's been here. Once I feel like she's presentable enough I unlock and open my bedroom door to see everyone in a sort of circle, talking to eachother. They all turn toward me when I open the door.

"Took you long enough Emma."

"Save it Brenda. Here she is, fresh out of the shower." I make to let go of Lyssa's arm but she clutches onto me so hard I almost yelp. I look at her face to see tears forming in her eyes, and wince at the big bruise on her cheek.

"Okay Alyssa, enough of this. Let's go." She trembles so badly that I almost say 'no she's not going anywhere' but one look at her mom's face makes me shut up. So instead I help Lyssa down the stairs and out the front door to her mom's car. I have this sudden urge to go with her, especially when I see the terrified look on her face, but I left my phone upstairs and Adrian is still in my room. Two things I cannot leave here without, so I say goodbye and go back into the house.

I'm about to head down the hallway to go upstairs when Bren mutters 'got what she deserved'. I was going to let the fact that she sold Lyss out to her parents slide, cause honestly I'm not up for a confrontation right now, but when I hear that I just can't. I spin around and stomp back down the hall into the kitchen to see Bren sitting at the table, picking up the newspaper.

"Got what she deserved, did she? Are you fucking kidding me? How old are you, 10? You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. So shut the fuck up about things you don't understand." She continues to scan the paper as if I'm not here yelling at her.

"Who's acting 10, Emmaline? As far as I can tell, you're screaming at me when I've done nothing wrong. I only -"

"You have no idea what you've done Brenda! You couldn't have left it alone and just kept your nose out of someone else's business, could you? No, you had to get involved when you don't even know what's going on. Well good on you Brenda, good on you." It infuriates me that she's still acting as if I'm not standing here, so I spin back around and practically stomp a hole through each of the stairs. When I get to my room I slam my door so hard I hear the wood crack.

I sit on my bed but I'm too mad to sit so I end up pacing instead. I'm vaguely aware that Adrian is still here, but at the moment I'm too angry to care about my behaviour. I just about scream when my phone rings. Without checking the caller ID I flick it open and ram it to my ear. "What?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment