10 December 2011

Forever More, Chapter 8

I wake up, gasping for breath and sweating. Draco turns on the light. "Bell, you okay?" I can't help it, I break down into tears.

"No, I'm not okay." He takes me in his arms.

"Another dream?" I nod my head, tears leaking out. "Do you want to talk about it?" I shake my head.

"No. I'm just going to get a drink, clear my head a little."

"Want me to come with?" I shake my head again.

"No. I'll be back soon." Instead of turning off the light and laying back down he grabs a book and opens to a marked page. I give him an odd look.

"I'll wait up." I smile, but it fades as soon as I exit the bedroom. I look down the hall toward Keera's room. I just need to check and then I can go back to sleep. I'm just going to check. Everything's fine. I walk slowly down the hall and open Keera's door. I feel myself falling before someone catches me and walks me back to my bedroom. I'm set on my bed.

"Why.. Why is Jasmine here?" Draco sits beside me.

"She's spending the night remember?"

"So.. Gabe and Phoebe are okay?"

"Yeah, they're fine." I go to pick up the phone but Draco stops me. "I'm assuming that's what your dream was about." I nod. "But it's too early to call them, love." I look at the clock and it is indeed too early to call. "Why don't we just lay down, hmm?" I nod and soon I'm laying against Draco's chest, his arms wrapped securely around me. It doesn't take long for me to fall back to sleep.

**

"Jasmine, your mom's here!" I let Phoebe in and lead her to the kitchen. To everyone's surprise, her pregnancy has stuck and she's now almost 6 months pregnant. None of her other pregnancies made it this far, so I can only imagine how relieved she must feel.

"Oh, let the girl's play. They don't get together much these days." I nod and open the fridge, asking what she'd like. "Just water, please." She pats her belly. "Still can't keep much down." I grab two bottles of water and open hers, setting it in front of her.

"So how are you and baby doing?" She takes a sip of her water and sits on the kitchen stool.

"Well, I'll be 20 weeks on Wednesday and so far it's been terrific. The only downfall is the constant nausea, but if it means I'm still pregnant, then I really can't complain." I smile and sit on the other side of the kitchen island. "You look like crap, Bell."

"I feel like crap. Actually, I want to talk to you about something." Her teasing smile leaves her face, replaced with a worried frown. "You know those dreams I keep having?" She nods. "Well, I had one about you and Gabe last night." She immediately looks down at her belly, wrapping a hand around it.

"What happened?"

"Something happened with the pregnancy and on the way to the hospital you got into an accident. Both you and Gabe died."

"Jazz?"

"She was at your parents for the night." She sighs with relief.

"The baby?" I can only shake my head, but she understands. She reaches across the island and takes my hand, squeezing it. "We'll all be fine, you know that right?" I just stare at my water, which remains unopened. "Hey." She makes me look up at her. "We will be fine. You think I came all this way to die now?" I shake my head. "Well there you go. So stop worrying." A few minutes go by where nothing is said. "I'm curious. Do you know when?" I turn and look at the calendar.

"Uhh.. Draco's away for the weekend on business, so the end of the month."

"Well that makes sense. It's my parents' anniversary that weekend so that's why Jazz will be there. So, what do we do?" I turn back to her.

"I was kind of thinking about that. It, uh, the accident happens on Highway 23, just off that one intersection. From here, you can get to the hospital without having to go that way."

"So you want us to stay here for the whole weekend?" I shrug.

"I don't know what else to suggest."

"Okay, then that's what we'll do. My parents will be here until later on the Friday evening so we'll head over after?" I nod and give Phoeb's a small smile. "Think you could have one of these dreams for when Cambria is supposed to come?" I actually laugh at this and shake my head.

"You're nuts." Just then both girls come skidding into the kitchen.

"Mommy!" Jasmine gives her mom a hug and kisses her belly. I don't know who's more excited about the baby, Phoebe and Gabe or Jasmine.

"Mama, when am I going to have a little sister?" Phoeb and I both start cracking up.

"I don't think that's going to happen honey. I think mommy and daddy are done having babies." The look on Keera's face is priceless.

"But Jazz is having a baby sister! I want one too!" Jasmine takes Keera's hand.

"I know, we can share!" I smile.

"There see, you can share Cambria when she comes." Keera's face lights up and she nods.

"Well Jazz, you ready to go?" Instead of answering Phoebe the girls giggle then run from the room. Phoeb's laughs and gets up from the stool. I want to feel relieved that the dream let me save my best friend, but I can't help but feel terrified I intervened with fate and it will find another way to take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment