07 December 2011

The Impossibility Of Sensibility, Chapter 5

I grip Emmett's hand tighter in my own, sure that I'm working my way to a full scale panic attack. "My father's going to shoot you, you know. He does have guns. And Greg's probably going to get a few hits in with a baseball bat. I wouldn't put it past my mother to get in a few swipes either. I can't believe I agreed to this." Emmett rubs his thumb on the back on my hand. Usually it calms me, but I'm too far anxious for it to have any effect now.

"Calm, love. Don't worry." I look up at him like he's crazy.

"Don't worry? Are you insane?" He just chuckles before opening the door to my house and leading me inside. It's been exactly one hour and 17 minutes since Emmett proposed, not that I'm counting, and I foolishly let him talk me into letting my parents and brother know. I can only imagine the types of horrible things they're going to do to him when I'm locked away in a tower somewhere, never to be seen again.

We stop in front of my father's study. Emmett goes to knock on the door but I stop him. "Do we really have to tell everyone? Can't we just run off and elope somewhere far away from guns and baseball bats?" He full out laughs at me now as he knocks on the door. I hear a mumbled 'come in' from my father. "Maybe we shouldn't bother him. He's probably busy.." I ramble on as Emmett opens the door, traitor that he is, and pulls me into the room.

"Hello, Mr Marion. Jillian and I have something we'd like to announce." I shoot a panicked look in Emmett's direction before looking at my father. He sets his glasses down and folds his hands over the book he was reading.

"And that would be?" I look down at my left hand, currently clutching Emmett's for dear life, and look back up at my father. He follows my eye line and then looks back at me. I look up at Emmett and he just smiles. He's going to make me say it. Damn him. I take in a shaky breath, Emmett squeezes my hand.

"Um, well, Emmett proposed this afternoon..." I trail off, bracing myself.

"Yes, and?" This I had not expected.

"And.. we're getting married?" My father smiles at me.

"I'm happy for you, Jillian. Emmett's turned into a fine young man." What?

"So you have no plans to take Emmett hunting?" Both men laugh at me.

"Jillian, what ever gave you that impression? Emmett's a good boy. I told him as much when he asked for your hand." I narrow my eyes up at Emmett, whose face is turning pink.

"He asked you? When?" My father glances at Emmett.

"I think perhaps that's something you two should discuss. Now if you'll excuse me, I have something I need to attend to." Not needing another word, I spin around and drag Emmett out of the study and down the hall to my room. I shove him in and close the door behind me.

"You already asked him? When?" Emmett sits on the arm of his favourite chair and smiles up at me sheepishly.

"A few weeks ago, give or take." I narrow my eyes. Nice try.

"Exactly how many weeks ago?"

"Uhm, five?"

"Five weeks! Are you kidding me?" He shakes his head and I sigh. "Well, how long have you had the ring?"

"Longer than that."

"Emmett McCarty, I swear. You better not have spent much on that."

"I didn't spend anything, honestly. My mother gave it to me before she passed." I look down at my hand. How had I not noticed it looks exactly like hers? I sit on the chair beside Emmett and he wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"Well, good. Better not have."

"Don't worry, love. Not a cent." I smile up at him and trace patterns on his knee.

"So who else did you tell?" He chuckles and leans so his arm is on the other armrest.

"My father knows, and so does Anthony. I'm pretty sure your brother and mother know."

"Not Robert?" He shakes his head and leans over to press his lips against my temple.

"No, not Robert." They're not exactly on the best of speaking terms. I confessed to Emmett that Robert had threatened me all those years ago and they haven't been the same since. Secretly I'm kind of grateful. Robert's not someone I want hanging around.

"Do we have to formally tell everyone? I assume Greg's okay with it since you're still alive." Emmett chuckles in my ear.

"He's the happiest one of the bunch. He said as long as I don't corrupt your innocent little mind, he's fine." I laugh. Typical Gregory.

"That can't be comfortable." He shrugs.

"Not really." I roll my eyes and get up.

"Sit." When he's sitting on the chair I sit on his lap and rest my head against his chest. He snakes his arms around my waist and presses his face to my head. I look up at him. "Emmett, were you just smelling my hair?" He smiles, embarrassed that I caught him.

"Maybe. You do smell good." I blush and lay my head back down.

"Well you don't smell so bad yourself." We lay like this for a few minutes when his stomach suddenly grumbles. "Hungry, are we?"

"Starving. I didn't eat breakfast."

"Why not?" He shrugs.

"Don't know. Can we go down and eat? I'm afraid I might waste away if I don't eat something." I laugh as I stand up and stretch. I pat his stomach once he's standing.

"We wouldn't want that to happen. Come on then." Emmett grins and takes my hand, leading me down to the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment