10 December 2011

The Impossibility Of Sensibility, Chapter 6

"But Jilly.."

"No buts, you're not coming over tonight. Sasha and I are having a girls night and you'd be bored."

"Not if I was with you I wouldn't be." I roll my eyes.

"Doesn't matter. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?" I hear Emmett groan through the line and laugh. "Don't worry, you'll see me tomorrow morning. It's not that far away."

"Easy for you to say. You actually have something to do. Hey... where are you going today anyway?"

"Smooth, Emmett. I'm not telling because you'll show up."

"Fine. Have fun without me." I smile.

"I will. See you tomorrow."

"Bye, love." I hang up the phone just as Sasha comes in the door.

"Ready?" I nod and link arms with her. Today we're going to see if I can find something for Emmett's birthday. I have something in mind, but need Sasha's opinion. I'd probably die of embarrassment if I asked my mother. And I have a feeling she wouldn't approve if she knew what my plan was anyway.

Instead of going directly to the store in question, we walk around the market, looking at all of the things everyone's selling. I see a stand with hair clips in it and one in particular catches my eye. The woman behind the table rushes over to me. "Something you like, miss?" I point down to the clip. It's a light blue that looks like the sky. It reminds me of the day that Emmett proposed.

"How much is that one?"

"25 cents, miss." I frown.

"I'll have to come back." As I'm walking away Sasha grabs my arm.

"Are you crazy?"

"I only have 5 dollars, and I don't know how much the thing is going to be."

"Well why don't we go find out then come back and I'll help you pay for the clip?" I feel a swell of gratitude toward my friend. I link my arm with her again and we walk to the store. As we come to it I can feel myself blush. "What's wrong, Jill?"

"What if he doesn't like it? I'd be making a fool out of myself for nothing." She rolls her eyes and drags me into the store.

"Oh please. He has a hard enough time keeping his hands off you when you're fully clothed, never mind when you've only got a small piece of fabric on. Now come on, let's find you something." Ah bless her. My plan is to surprise Emmett with some lingerie for his birthday. And maybe some other things, if it gets to that. I'm kind of nervous, but I've been thinking about it for days, and I know it's what I want to give him.

"Jill, this is the one!" I walk over to Sasha to see her holding up a sky blue, silky, lacy thing. It reminds me of the clip I wanted at the market. "Oh, you've got to get this one. If not then I'm buying it for you. It even matches that barrette." I sigh. There's no stopping Sasha once she gets started.

"Fine, as long as it's 5$ or lower. I'm not negotiating on that." She rolls her eyes and hands it to me.

"At least try it on, will you? There's rooms in the back."

"How would you know that?" I was just teasing, but a light blush covers her face. I turn to her. "You actually know that? Since when?"

"Oh, it's no big deal really. I've been here a couple times for some things." I raise my eyebrows.

"Things like what?" Her blush deepens.

"You know, things for myself... and Marc." I laugh.

"I can't believe this. Wait, does that mean you've.. you know?"

"Had sex? Yes, we have. It's not that unusual, you know. Only you seem to have such an aversion to it. Poor Emmett." I push her shoulder and blush. It's not like Emmett and I haven't been close, or haven't wanted to. I've just wanted to save it for something special. And after careful consideration, Emmett's birthday seems like the perfect time.

I find a changing room and strip out of my dress. I look down at my body. I've never really thought about how I look to anyone before. That's not all that important to me. I'm not painfully skinny, but I am on the thinner side. As a result my breasts aren't very big. I've never cared, they always seem to get in the way anyway, but I'm suddenly wondering if Emmett likes them, or if he prefers them bigger.

"Jill? You okay in there?" I snap out of my wonderings and slip on the little blue outfit. I don't look at myself before opening the door and facing Sasha. "Oh my gosh, it's like it was made for you." I make a face. "Seriously, Jill. Did you look at yourself?"

"Not really." She rolls her eyes and grabs my shoulders, thrusting me in front of a tall mirror. My first reaction is 'skin! skin everywhere!' but I make an effort to try to see myself like Emmett would. The hem rides along my thighs, accentuating what little curves I have. The neckline hugs closely to my breasts, making them seem bigger than they are.

"Well? What do you think?" I turn my body a little.

"You're right." Sasha smiles smugly.

"Of course I am. Now hurry and change back before someone tries to steal you away." I roll my eyes and change back into my dress. I set the small piece of silk in front of the woman running the shop. She smiles and sets down her book.

"Will that be all for today?" I'm too embarrassed to talk so all I can do is nod. "That will be 4.50$ please." I hand her the money and she wraps up my purchase and sticks it in a paper bag. I thank her, take my change and Sasha and I exit the little store.

"Okay, now to get that clip. Come on." We walk back to the woman and she greets me kindly, already pulling out the clip that I want. I pay for it and then Sasha and I head back in the direction of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment