03 September 2011

Mind Over Matter, Chapter 10

"Happy birthday!"

"Awe, thanks guys."

"How does it feel, being a responsible adult now?" I raise an eyebrow at Becca.

"Who said I'm responsible?" She grins and gives me a hug. I glance over at Jarrod, who's sitting on my hotel bed, sulking. I don't know exactly what happened. Things were fine until they weren't. I have no clue what he's thinking and he hasn't been around long enough for me to jump in his head. Today is the first day he's came by in 3 days. Luckily, Becca's been by whenever she's been able to, or I'd have certainly gone crazy.

"I have something for you, Gemma." I look over at Liz. She's holding an envelope. "It's not much, but it's your birthday." I take it from her and slide my finger along the seal. Out comes a one way ticket to North Carolina.

"Nothing? Are you kidding me? This is what I've been waiting two weeks for! Thank you, Liz!" She smiles.

"I was hoping you'd like it."

"Like, ha." I look more closely at the ticket and my grin fades. "I don't leave for another 3 days?" Liz' smile also fades a little.

"Actually, that's something I was hoping to talk to you about, but it's kind of private, so it can wait until after." I raise an eyebrow but don't prod further. Becca looks at her watch and frowns.

"Shit, I've gotta go, actually. Sorry."

"Naw, it's okay. I'm actually kinda tired anyway." Bec hugs me, gives me an envelope and leaves. Jarrod gets up from his place on my bed.

"I should go too. I've got a test to study for." I don't say anything. Two can play at that game. He grabs his jacket. "Guess I'll see you around."

"Guess so." He shakes his head and leaves the hotel room. I sigh and sit down, opening Becca's envelope. I count three times to make sure it's right. "There's over $300 in here." Liz's eyes open wide. "Hey Gem. Sorry, it's not much, but it's not everyday your best friend turns 18. Have fun in North Carolina and please stay in touch! Don't do anything I wouldn't do! Love you girl. Bec." I look up at Liz and shake my head. Only Becca would give someone $300 and call it nothing. "So what is it you wanted to talk to me about?" She sits on the only chair in the room and leans forward on her elbows.

"Have you heard of Jackson Forte?"

"Sure, he's been on the new a couple times. What about him?"

"Well, police caught him in Colorado and it's been discovered that he has an ability."

"So.. He's going to the school, too?" Liz shifts in her chair. I know enough about her to know that she's uncomfortable.

"That's up to you." I just stare at her.

"Why?"

"Because.. Well.. I don't know how else to say it other than simply; He's been asking for you." I'm kind of dumbstruck.

"What?"

"We don't know. The only thing he'll say is "I want to meet Gemma Slate. Until that happens, you guys get nothing". Well, not exactly like that, but you know."

"But.. Why me?"

"I don't know. Do you know him?" I shake my head. I think of the pictures I'd seen on the news.

"No. I think I would have recognized him."

"The next step is up to you. If you don't mind meeting him, that can be set up. He'll be secured and there will be guards if anything happens."

"But why is this all up to me?"

"You've heard the stories about him, right?" I nod. I hadn't listened in much detail to the stories about him, but I do know that he's killed two people and is on the run. Was, since they caught him. "If he wasn't asking for you, you both could live at the school with very little problems. But, since he's asking specifically for you, and given his record, it's up to you whether or not you want him there. We don't know why or how he knows of you, only that he does, and we don't want to put you in danger." I nod.

"This is all kind of overwhelming, I guess." Liz nods and stands.

"I'm sorry to have to spring this on you so suddenly, but there was really no easy way to tell you." I nod and stand. Liza grabs her coat and heads toward the door.

"It's all right. Thanks for telling me. See you tomorrow." She leaves and I wander back over to the bed, sitting on it heavily. Some 18th birthday this turned out to be. I snort and flop down on my back, suddenly, mentally exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment