03 September 2011

Someone Else's Happy Ending, Chapter 6

Thursday September 4th [16 w 3 d]

I bolt up awake in bed, running to the bathroom so I don't throw up on the floor. I kneel on the floor and my stomach empties in the toilet. Much to my displeasure, I spend the entire morning in the bathroom. As soon as I think I'm well enough to get up another wave of nausea hits me and I throw up again. I get a fellow Ravenclaw girl to tell Draco at breakfast that I won't make it to meet him at lunch.

Sometime later I stagger to bed and lay down, wishing I could just die and get it over with. "Hey Annabel?" A girl taps on the door and pops her head in.

"Uh huh?"

"Draco Malfoy followed some of us back to the common room and won't go away until he sees you. We keep telling him he can't get up here, but he won't go away. Do you think you're well enough to go see him?" I groan and suppress some choice words about Draco Malfoy.

"Yeah, tell him I'll be down there in a few minutes." I groan again and sit slowly, not wanting to throw up again. I've done enough of that this morning. I stand up and hold onto the bedpost to steady myself. When I think I'm good enough to walk I slowly shuffle my feet to the door. I find my way down the stairs to see a group of girls crowded around the common room door. I see a blond head in the midst of them, all telling them to get out of the way. When Draco sees me almost crawling my way to a couch he bursts through them and comes to sit beside me.

"Bell! There you are! None of these people would let me see you." I sit on one of the couches and close my eyes.

"Draco, you know you can't come up the girls stairs anyway."

"Doesn't mean I wouldn't try. Do you think you could make it to the hospital wing?"

"Ugh, no. I don't wanna go anywhere, I just wanna die." I hear him snort.

"Nope, you're not allowed. Come on, I'll carry you there." Hearing this, I open one eye and give him a look.

"I'm a cow. You won't be able to carry me." He ignores my comment and kneels in front of the couch, telling me to get on his back. "A piggy back ride?"

"Sure. How else are you supposed to get there?" I sigh and do as he says, holding on tight as he stands up.

"Whoa, I'm dizzy, hold on. Okay.. you can go." We pass the girls still standing in the doorway and he heads up to the hospital wing. I have to admit, this was a great idea. It would have taken me weeks to get up there on my own. "What time is it?"

"Lunch ended about half an hour ago. You see how long I was waiting to see you! First they said you were sleeping. Then they kept telling me even if you were awake I can't come in." I chuckle, which hurts my stomach.

"Sorry, but you know it's all true." He shakes his head.

"Here we are." He opens the door and walks us in, setting me on a bed close to Madame Promfrey's office. She steps out as Draco sits himself by my feet.

"What seems to be the problem here?"

"I'm pregnant." She casts a quick look at Draco and I almost laugh.

"How far along are you, dear?"

"Just over 16 weeks." She clucks her tongue.

"And you haven't been to see me yet?"

"I was going to come earlier but I've been throwing up all morning. Draco carried me here from my common room." He nods as she looks at him.

"I can give you a potion to help with morning sickness but there's not too much else I can do for you."

"Well, I was wondering if you could tell me what sex the baby is? Or if you could do an ultrasound?" I think for a second. "Are they called ultrasounds here?"

"Oh, of course, dear!" She looks at Draco, clearing wanting to ask if he's the father. I smile and nudge his arm with my foot.

"He can stay, I don't mind." She pulls out a chair for Draco to sit on then pulls a white curtain around the bed. She stands beside me and taps my stomach, muttering some spells I don't understand. A grey screen is projected onto the white curtain. She moves the tip of her wand around.

"Your baby is growing along quite nicely. Moving lots. It's common to start feeling some movement around your 24th week. Would you like to hear the heartbeat?"

"You can do that?" She nods. "Yes, I'd like that very much." She taps my stomach again, muttering another spell. I can't explain how it felt to hear that little heartbeat.

"Very nice. Sounds nice and strong. Would you like to know the gender, dear?" I nod again. She moves her wand around my stomach until she's satisfied. "Well, you know it's never 100% certain until the baby is born, of course. But from what I can tell, you're going to have a little girl." I nod, something I hadn't known I was thinking being suddenly confirmed.

"Thank you, Madame Promfrey. This is wonderful." She only smiles.

"I'll leave you alone to watch, if you like. Let me know when you're done and I'll give you that morning sickness potion." I nod, my eyes not leaving the projection.

"Draco, can you believe that." It comes out as a whisper.

"She looks like you." I laugh, taking his hand and squeezing it. "Richards is a twit." I shake my head.

"Let's not talk about him right now." We sit and watch her move around in my belly. After some time Madame Promfrey comes back with the potion. She stops the projection and I drink it. It tastes horrible but I feel much better. Well enough to go down to dinner.

"That should do you for tomorrow morning. Come back tomorrow and I'll have another potion ready for you. Take it in the morning with your breakfast and you should be fine for the day." I ask her a few more questions and then leave the hospital wing. I decide to skip dinner, instead going to my common room. Draco asks to come with me but I tell him no and I'll see him tomorrow.

I walk through the common room, ignoring questions from my classmates, going right up to bed. Maybe this is gonna turn out all right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment