03 May 2017

SEHE; Chapter 17

Friday January 09 [34w 4d]

"Any pain, discomfort, tightening?" I clasp my hands around my belly.

"More of those practice contractions, I think. I lay on my left side, drink plenty of water like you'd said." Dr Anne nods. "They go away eventually."

"I would like you to start timing the duration and time between as they occur."

"Do you think I'm close?"

"Yes, I would think so. It's too early for our liking but I've come to learn that babies make their appearances as they would like. All we can do is prepare." I hug my belly a little tighter. "Do you have any questions for me, Annabel?" I shake my head. "All right. I'll see you on Monday, yes? Make an appointment with Sandra on your way out." I grab my bag and before leaving the office, make an appointment for Monday afternoon.

Nate is in the waiting room and decides to stop for lunch on the way home. I reason that walking into the restaurant couldn't do me much harm, so we eat in instead of taking the food home. "If this puts you into labour you are not allowed to blame me." I chuckle as I flip open the menu.

"I'll be sure to tell mum that you had me walking around all afternoon."

"Even if I did, I doubt you'd tell her." I consider that while looking at the food options.

"No, likely not." We're interrupted as our waitress takes our order. I order fish, chips and an iced tea. Nate gets a burger and salad. After the waitress leaves he rests his chin on his hand.

"So. This Draco." I'd wondered when he was going to bring it up. "I only saw him briefly right after Christmas. Tell me about him."

"Well he's.. rather extraordinary."

"You've known him since first year?"

"Sort of. We knew of each other, of course. We had our classes together. He was arrogant and conceited and bullied people he thought to be lesser than. As we grew up and became friends he started to change. We relied on and supported each other. I've helped him through a lot." I pause, collecting my thoughts. "And despite the engagement and such, he's been a wonderful friend and support for me. Especially with things involving Keelan."

"I wasn't kidding, you know. About Keelan. I've planned his murder a few times." I shake my head.

"You'd be well behind a few people I imagine. No, Nate, I've moved past it." Anger lights his face.

"How can you be so passive, Bell?" I frown.

"I don't have much other choice, do I? He's made his decision. What good does it do me to dwell and simmer? I would rather come to terms with it and move on. I'm not the one losing in this situation."

"How are you so grown up, baby sister?" I wrinkle my nose but smile.

"Because I'm the best, obviously." I take a sip of my water. "I hear a rumour. About a girl." I catch a quick blush.

"Yes, there's a girl. Her name is Becca. We've been seeing each other for a little while now. Jordan is seeing someone as well." I blink in surprise. This is news.

"You're kidding. Who?" He shrugs and pauses as the waitress brings our food.

"I haven't a clue. He's very tight lipped about it."

"Amazing. Usually he flaunts them around. He must really like this one."

"I think you're right."

"Huh, who would have thought our Jordie would find someone serious."

"Does mum know about your engagement yet?" I shake my head and pop a fry into my mouth.

"No. I want to wait until after he's graduated before saying anything. Hopefully everyone can keep their mouths shut."

"Better find a good hiding spot for that ring." I snort.

"Yeah, apparently in plain sight on my desk just won't do."

After finishing our lunch Nate drives us home and helps me up to my bedroom. Once he's gotten me some water he leaves me alone. I'm about to settle into my favourite book when I hear a tap from downstairs. A minute later Nate brings me a little stack of letters. "From your fan club, I imagine." I take them and he leaves my room again. There are 5 letters in all, 4 from Draco and 1 from Lena. These are the first ones I've received since they got back to school. I start with Lena's.

My Bell,

I do believe I've taken you for granted all these years. Life at Hogwarts is dreadfully boring without you.

I've explained your situation (leaving out the complicated bits) to whomever has asked after you. Everyone sends their love and well wishes. They all want pictures once that baby arrives!

Draco has sought me out in the library twice just to chat. I think the poor lad is going a little nutty. He misses you terribly. We all do.

Take care of that belly and the momma attached to it.

I love you,
Len


I tear up while reading her letter. I had no idea so many people cared about me. I laugh at the thought of Draco randomly sitting down beside Lena in the library. That must have been quite the shocker. Next are Draco's.

01.05

Annabel,

I'm sorry I haven't written you before coming back to the school. I can't go into detail in a letter but home life is difficult, to say the least. I suspect things but of course know nothing for sure.

After I got home Mother would not shut up about meeting you. Part of me thinks she'll just show up at your house. If she does this, I apologise!

Some of my fellow housemates have noticed your absence. I asked Lena what she was telling people so I've been doing the same. It suits me fine because I hardly understand most of it myself.

More to come later.


Slytherins have asked about me?

01.06

Bell,

I was asked not to say anything about this but I feel no such inclination to actually listen.

Richards cornered me after class today. He inquired as to your whereabouts and the situation behind it. I told him nothing as I feel he made that choice for himself long ago. If I was wrong, please let me know and I'll relay whatever you wish him to know.

Do not feel pressured to give him information just because he is bothering me. You know I can handle myself, Bell.

My love,
Draco


I stare at the letter, practically dumbfounded. I decide to explore how I feel about it later and continue on.

01.07

Mother wishes to send you things though she wouldn't elaborate as to what. I told her to send nothing before you give your permission.

I'm sorry today's is so short.


I feel a few tears prickle at the thought of Draco's mother taking time out of her day to think about me. His last letter is the shortest yet.

Is it June yet??

I smile and pile the little stack on my belly and laugh when they're kicked off. "Sorry, have I been ignoring you?" Deciding to reply to the letters later, I pick my book back up and spend the afternoon lost in it's pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment