21 November 2011

The Boy Next Door, Chapter 11

Before anything can be said I spin around and all but sprint into my bathroom. I close the door behind me and lean against it. What was that? I have no answers for myself.

I brush my teeth and rinse off my face then put a small amount of makeup on. I'll probably sweat it off the second I step outside but I don't care. Before going back out to my room I peek through the keyhole to see that Adrian isn't in there. I stand back up, take one deep breath, and push the door open.

I'm about to climb out the window when I change my mind and find a more flattering top to wear. I also trade my shorts for a skirt, slip on some flip flops and then stick my head out the window. Adrian is standing against the wall in the cover of the shade. "I'm wearing a skirt so don't look up."

I quickly grab my purse and sunglasses and swing my leg out the window. I look down to make sure Adrian isn't looking up my skirt, then start down the ladder. Truth be told, I absolutely hate heights. I've never been on a roller coaster and never plan on it. I don't even like looking out a window in a building that's more than 3 storey's up.

I climb, ever slowly, down the ladder, praying the whole time that I won't fall. When my foot hits the ground I breathe a sigh of relief and stick on my sunglasses. I was right, I'm sweating already. "Took yah long enough. I was beginning to wonder if I'd have to go up after you." I stick my tongue out at Adrian.

"Ha ha, you're hilarious." He smiles while taking the ladder down.

"Just need to return this and we're free to go." I follow him to his grandma's shed, silently thankful that my random act of forwardness didn't turn anything awkward. "Hold on, just gonna run inside for a second." He jogs across the backyard and disappears into the house. Without thinking about it, I look up at his bedroom window. From this angle I can partially see into his room.

Suddenly feeling a little like a stalker, I turn around and walk to the other side of the house. I just about have a heart attack when I'm tapped on the shoulder. I spin around to see Mrs Findlay. "I'm sorry, did I scare you?" I clutch my chest and smile.

"Only a bit. What are you doing out in the heat?" She holds up a watering can.

"Flowers get thirsty too. Are you waiting for Adrian?" I nod. "He just went into the house." I nod again and stick my hands in my pockets. "Well, you two have a good afternoon." I watch for a second as she limps over to one of her flower beds. I don't know why she's bothering to water them as they all pretty much look dead. I'm no gardener though so maybe there's a trick to it or something.

I shrug and turn back toward the house just as Adrian is walking up to me. He changed into different shorts and grabbed sunglasses. "Ready to go?" I sling my purse strap over my shoulder and nod.

"Where are we going?" I walk alongside Adrian as we head toward the street.

"I don't know. You're the tour guide, remember?" I smile and run through places in my head. Before I can get far my phone rings in my purse. I frown, because I don't remember turning it back on, but check the caller ID to see that it's Lyssa calling from her house phone. I almost rip the phone apart in my haste to answer it.

"Lyssa! Are you okay?" There's silence on the other end. "Lyss?" She whispers into the phone.

"Sorry, hang on okay?" I hear muffled sounds through the receiver and wait a full two minutes before she comes back on the line. "Sorry about that. I just had to make sure no one saw me with the phone."

"What's going on?"

"What the hell did you tell Brenda? My mom seems to think I was partying, doing drugs, having wild orgies, and starting fights all night."

"All's I told her was that you got drunk and got into a fight. Anything else Bren said she said on her own."

"That's not what I'm hearing, Emma. My mom's gone crazy. I'm grounded until school starts, she made me call Dustin and break up with him. She even wants me to tell all of my friends that I'm going away for the summer so I can't hang out with anyone."

"Are you kidding me?"

"No. She told me I have to tell you that I don't like you and don't want to be your friend anymore."

"That's ridiculous." I expected some type of argument, maybe that she told her mom where to shove it, or that there's no way we're not hanging out this summer, but I get nothing but silence. "Lyss, you're not going to listen to her, are you?"

"I don't know, Emma. I find it hard to believe that all you said was I got drunk and into a fight." I almost drop the phone, I can't believe what I'm hearing.

"You're not serious. You actually believe Brenda over me?"

"Why would she lie?"

"Because she's a bitch! You know exactly how she is, Lyss!" I hear a sigh over the line.

"I'm sorry Em, but until you tell me the truth I don't want to talk to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment