21 November 2011

The Impossibility Of Sensibility, Chapter 1

"Jillian! Darling, oh, there you are." I look up from my book to my mother. "The guests are arriving and you musn't stay up here in your room all evening." I sigh to myself. This is so unfair. I don't even like any of these people! Why can't they all just go away and leave me alone? Instead of telling Mother what I'm thinking, I mark my page and set it aside to follow her downstairs to the lobby.

Today is my big brother's 16th birthday and he's having a big party. I'm supposed to be helping, but I'd rather just hide until it's all over. I try to sneak off to my secret hiding place in the woods behind the house, but one look from Father sends me in the other direction, toward Gregory's party and his stupid friends.

I love Gregory, really. Whenever we're alone we always do the best things. We play outside for hours and hours until we're called in for dark. He reads me his favourite stories and tells me about the things he'd like to do when he's older. He's great. But whenever his friends are around, well, he's not very nice. I'm always the little sister that is made to tag along wherever they go. I'm annoying to them. I asked him once why he acts like that, and all's he said was that's how it is.

I stand in a corner, almost hidden behind a big potted plant, while Gregory's friends talk and laugh and ignore me. I sigh again and wonder what Sasha is doing right now. I asked Father if I could spend the party at her house, but he said no. I then asked if she could come here to play, but he said that it's Gregory's party, not mine, and I must respect that. I don't see what the big deal in having her here is.

I lay my head against the wall and close my eyes. Not fair! No one here likes me! I feel angry tears make their down my cheeks and I wipe them away. The last thing I need is for someone to see and call me a cry baby. I want to sit down but Mother always tells me that it's not ladylike to sit on the floor. I don't see the big deal. I play outside and sit on the ground all the time.

"What are doing here all by yourself?" I look over to see a boy looking at me. I look away and glare at the floor.

"I'm hiding. Go away."

"Aren't you lonely?"

"No."

"Can I hide with you?"

"No. I said go away." Mother would certainly get me into trouble if she heard the way I was talking to this boy. He doesn't ask me anymore questions so I thought he'd left, but when I look up he's still standing there. My curiosity gets the better of me. "You don't look old enough to be one of my brother's friends." When he shakes his head his dark curls shake with it.

"I had to come. My brother was invited and my parents are gone for the weekend." He looks as annoyed by all of this as I feel.

"Well I'm glad you came. Now at least there's someone here to talk to." He grins and a dimple forms in his left cheek. I smile back and step over to let him stand beside me. "My name is Jillian Marion. What's yours?"

"Emmett McCarty. Why didn't you go somewhere else?"

"I tried but my father said no." I make a face and Emmett laughs at me.

"I'm glad I had to come, too." I look up at Emmett.

"Why?" He dimple-grins again.

"Cause you're cute and funny. I'm glad that I got to meet you." I can feel my face get warm as a blush creeps over it. It's the first time a boy has ever said I'm cute or funny. Boys usually tend to avoid me. Mother says it's because they're still worried about girl germs and will grow out of it soon, but I always worry that I'll always have them and no boys will ever like me. "How old are you, Jillian?"

"I just turned 12 in February." Emmett definitely looks older than my 12 years. His shoulders are wide and he's pretty tall, but he's still got that young look to his face.

"I'll be 15 in September." My face falls. There's no way that a 14 year old would ever like me. Before I can decide what to do next the plant is pulled back and I look up to see my mother.

"Jillian Elizabeth Marion. It's is not proper of a lady to be standing in corners behind plants alone with boys. Dinner will be ready soon and you're expected at the head table beside your brother. Come on, now." She gives Emmett a slight nod and pulls me along with her. I look back at him and smile apologetically. He mouths something to me but I can't quite make it out. See you soon? I'm not sure.

Dinner goes by in a blur and, not soon enough, I'm back up in my room, laying on my bed. I found out that Emmett and his brother are staying here for the weekend until their parents get back. I'm happy and sad all at the same time. Happy because I get to spend another day with Emmett, and sad because I know he'll never feel the same way about me as I do about him. I won't ever find anyone. The thought makes me want to cry.

I read a few more chapters of my book and mark my page, setting it on my bedside table and turning out the lamp. I'm not really tired yet, but if my light is still on when Mother makes her rounds, I'll end up in trouble. I roll onto my side and hug my teddy bear close to my chest.

I'm drifting off to sleep when I suddenly hear a soft tapping. I try to ignore it and fall asleep, but it keeps tapping and I finally get too annoyed to ignore it. I sit up and look around the dark room, trying to locate the sound. Nothing. Just as I'm about to lay back down it starts again. Someone's knocking at my door? I get out of bed and slip on my night coat while walking over to my door. I unlock it and open it, half expecting one of Gregory's friends to be playing tricks on me. Instead, the door opens and I see Emmett standing in front of me.

"Emmett? What are you doing here?"

No comments:

Post a Comment