25 November 2011

The Impossibility Of Sensibility, Chapter 2

"Hurry, let me in!" I step aside to let Emmett in my room, shutting the door once I make sure no one's hiding down the hall. I lead Emmett over to my bed and we both sit down.

"What are you doing here? It's the middle of the night. You could have just waited until tomorrow morning, you know."

"Rob is snoring and I couldn't sleep."

"Well I was sleeping too. You woke me up." From the little light filtering through the window, I see him grin.

"Sorry. I had to wait until everyone was asleep before I could sneak over."

"But why'd you sneak over here?" Mother would certainly say that it's not proper to have boys sneak into your room in the middle of the night. But I didn't ask him to come. So this doesn't count, right?

"I wanted to see you." I feel another blush make its way onto my face and I'm grateful that it's dark.

"Why do you want to see me?" He doesn't answer for so long that I thought he might have fallen asleep sitting up, when he suddenly smiles again and looks up at me.

"Cause I like you, Jillian. I've liked you for a while. Every time I see you I've wanted to talk to you but never got the chance. Tonight you were finally alone, so I talked to you before my chance was up." When he takes my hand I jump about 5 feet in the air. When I can't hear my heartbeat anymore I can hear him laughing quietly. "I know we just met so it's impossible for you to like me too, but I'm willing to wait. I'll wait for however long it takes." I blush again and look down at my hands. Mother never covered this. I decide to say the first thing that pops into my head.

"Well, you won't have to wait for long." I say it so quietly that I thought maybe he hadn't heard me, so I look back up at him and clear my throat. "I like you, too." The smile that he gives me makes my stomach flutter in a way I've never felt before. I decide that I like it.

"Jillian? Would it be too forward of me to ask you for something?" My heart skips a beat, although I'm not exactly sure why.

"What's that?" I'm happy to see that this time, Emmett blushes. I catch myself thinking that he looks really cute when he blushes.

"Could I, um.. well, could I kiss you?" My heart starts beating faster and I can't think straight. He wants to kiss me?

"What if I'm bad at it?" He holds onto my wrists with his hands and shakes his head.

"Impossible." I see him start to lean toward me and I freeze. I don't know what to do! What if he hates it so much that he never talks to me again? I don't get the chance to ask him because I suddenly feel his lips gently press against mine. My heart is beating so fast it feels like it's going to explode. He moves his hands from my wrists to rest against my arms.

I lean into him a little bit and he grips my arms harder, but it doesn't hurt, it actually feels kinda nice, in a weird way. Without warning, Emmett suddenly pulls away from me and stands up.

"I'm sorry, I have to go."

"What? Why?"

"I just, I have to go. I'll see you in the morning, okay?" Without waiting for an answer he bolts to my door, yanks it open, and takes off down the hall. I sit there for a few minutes, wondering what could have scared him so suddenly. Did I do something wrong? I must have. What else could it be? I get up and walk over to my door, half hoping that he'll come back, and half hoping he won't. When he doesn't come back a few minutes later I shut the door and lay back on my bed.

I pull the blankets up over my head and curl into a ball. Maybe he doesn't like me after all. Just then it suddenly makes sense. It was a joke! My brother's friends got him to do it! I knew he couldn't actually like me. It was all a joke to him. To get me to confess that I like him so he can tell everyone and they'll all laugh at me. I hate him. I hate them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment