25 November 2011

The Boy Next Door, Chapter 12

The line goes dead and I lower my arm, just staring at my phone. What just happened? "Is everything okay?" I glance up at Adrian before looking back down at my phone. I shut it and put it in my pocket before looking up at Adrian again.

"Uhm, I don't know. I think Lyss just de-friended me." Adrian's eyebrows knit together and he frowns. "This has been such an awful day." I suddenly have the urge to cry. But no way am I doing that in front of Adrian outside on the sidewalk.

"We don't have to go out anymore if you don't want to."

"I'd rather be out than home right now." I look at my house and catch Brenda watching me from the front window. I shoot her a glare and she lets the curtain go. I shake my head while Adrian glances back at my house.

"Why don't you come over to my place? I know it's only next door but we can order a pizza, rent some movies, just totally veg out for the afternoon. Plus we have air conditioning." I laugh a bit and cross my arms.

"Why are you doing this for me? We've known eachother how many days now, three?" Adrian smiles in a nice way.

"I don't know why, exactly. But I just feel drawn to you." I feel my face flush. Hopefully he'll think it's just the heat.

"I feel the same way. I feel like I've known you for years and not just days."

"Maybe we knew eachother in another life." I chuckle and turn toward town. "Where are we going?"

"How are we supposed to rent movies from your house?"

**

I wake up to my phone ringing and drag it out of my pocket and stick it to my ear. "'Lo?"

"Sorry, did I wake you?" Drat, I should have checked caller ID.

"Sort of, I was just getting up though."

"It's seven in the evening." I yawn and look around, noting that Adrian is spooning my back.

"I know, dad. It's been a stressful day."

"So I've heard. Tell me, what exactly happened this morning?" I sigh and try to sit up a little without waking Adrian.

"Lyss got here this morning around 9. I'm not telling you what happened to her, but I'll say that it wasn't good. She asked me to lie to Bren cause it's none of her business either. So I told Bren that Lyss got drunk and into a fight last night. She threatened to talk to Lyssa's mom, which is not her place and I told her so. She didn't like that and we got into a bit of a fight."

"I heard about that part. She said you called her a self righteous bitch."

"Well she is." My dad sighs.

"What happened after that?"

"Brenda called Lyssa's mom because she showed up at the house with two cops. I got Lyss presentable and she took her home. After she left I was walking through the kitchen and Bren goes and says 'got what she deserved'. I went off on her and left shortly afterward."

"I heard about that, too."

"Then, Lyss called me a bit after and said Brenda told her mom she'd been doing drugs and partying and starting fights. None of which is true but she believed her and now Lyss isn't talking to me until I fess up to something I didn't do."

"What?" I sit up, angry now.

"Yeah, Brenda lied to April and told her all this shit that's not true and now Lyss isn't talking to me. Bren needs to mind her own business and keep her nose out of it."

"I'm sorry hon, I'll have a talk with her about that."

"Grandma asked me again to go live with her until I start school. If Bren keeps this shit up I'm going to take her up on it."

"She never mentioned that to me."

"Oh, I also got a text from mom last night. I haven't read it yet." I hear him curse over the line.

"What is she doing contacting you?"

"I don't know. I talked to Brax and he didn't get one."

"It sounds like you had quite the busy day."

"Which is the understatement of the year, dad. Look, I have to go. Just tell Bren to keep her big, fat nose out of other people's business, especially mine and my friends' business, and we're good. Otherwise I'm on the next train out of here." Without waiting for a reply I close my phone and set it on my lap. I rub my face and sigh.

"Where you going?" I jump and look down at Adrian. I hadn't noticed he'd woken up.

"Oh, nowhere right now." He snuggles closer to me and closes his eyes.

"Good, you're comfy." I smile. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, as okay as it's gonna be, I guess." He opens one eye and squints up at me.

"Anything I can do to help?" I chuckle and stick my phone back in my pocket, scooting down so I'm laying on my side, facing Adrian.

"Unless you don't mind keeping me in your closet for the summer, probably not." He glances at his closet and I laugh at his expression, like he's actually considering it. I poke his nose with my finger. "You're cute." I'm pleased when a slight blush creeps up his face. He sits up and reaches for his phone.

"Do you like Chinese?"

No comments:

Post a Comment