21 November 2011

Forever More, Chapter 3

"Mommy, I want this off." I lift Keera out of the bathtub and set her on the floor.

"I know, honey, but the doctor said only one more week." She sighs as if one week is forever. She's only had it on for 2 1/2 weeks and she's complained every single day of it. I keep reminding her that if she hadn't of been playing on the bridge she wouldn't have fallen off it. But that doesn't seem to matter.

I dry her off, get her dressed, and let her go play. I'm about to walk down the stairs when there's a tap at the window. I turn toward it to see Cheyenne's owl, Casper. I open the window and let Casper inside. After giving me my letter he goes straight to her room where there's food waiting for him. I walk to my bedroom and lay on the bed, opening the letter.

Hi Mom! Ethan and Bridget are hovering over me, so I can't write what I actually wanted to ask you, but they say hello to you, dad and Keera. How's her arm? Is she still complaining every chance she gets? I guess there's two reasons for the letter. I was reading up on dreams and sometimes they can be a prediction of some sort of future. If you get any other ones maybe you should ask someone or look it up yourself. Anyway, E&B keep bugging me to let them write so I told them they can send you their own letters, so be prepared for a couple more soon. Send dad and Keera my love. Write back soon! Love you mom.
-Cheyenne


I wonder how on earth she heard about that dream but figure she probably heard it through the grape vine. There aren't many secrets in a family as big as mine. I also wonder what the original intent had been to her letter. She doesn't usually keep things from me, so it worries me a little. I yawn and decide to write her back later, falling fast asleep.

I wake up and look at the clock, doing a double take. The clock says it's just after 3 in the morning. I look beside me but I don't see Draco anywhere. My eyebrows knit together in confusion. He's never awake at this time, let alone out of bed. I get out of bed and walk to the bedroom door, opening it slightly and peering down the hallway. Nothing.

I open the door wider and take a step into the hallway. On closer inspection I can see a small ray of light at the bottom of Cheyenne's door. I frown. When did I turn that light on? I go in there once every week to dust, but never turn the light on.

I walk slowly down the hall to her room, stopping when I reach the door. I assume it's probably just Keera. She likes to go in there and play with Cheyenne's old toys. But why she'd be in there at 3 AM is beyond me. I take a breath and inch the door open. What I see when it does open completely surprises me.

"Alexander? What are you doing here?" Alexander is Cheyenne's boyfriend of almost a year.

"Waiting for you." Alexander smiles and walks over to me. I try to ask him why he'd be waiting for me, but the words don't come out. Instead I can feel myself smiling back. It's as if my body has a mind of it's own. I close the door behind me and lock it then turn back to Alexander. When did Cheyenne get a lock on her door?

"I'm glad you came. I've missed you." Alex wraps me up in his arms.

"Oh baby, I've missed you. It's only been a week but it feels like it's been so much longer." I feel myself nodding and then looking up at him. I see longing in his eyes and I'm suddenly sure I don't like where this is going.

"How'd you get here?" Alex leads me to Cheyenne's bed and sits me on his lap. My mindless body straddles his lap and bends down to kiss him.

"Night Bus." A low moan escapes his throat and the feeling gets stronger. I don't want to be here. He cups my cheeks in his hands and pulls me into a long, deep kiss. My mind is screaming no but my body is reacting differently. I can feel the longing in it.

With sudden clarity I realize what's happening. I'm in a dream, and in this dream I'm Cheyenne. And I can't seem to get out of it. I watch helplessly as my 14 year old daughter and her just as young boyfriend get intimate in ways that no 14 year olds should be. I try to block it out but I can't ignore the feelings that are inside her. I'm grateful when it's over and Cheyenne starts to fall asleep.

"Bell? Bella? Wake up." I jolt awake and jerk into a sitting position. It's light outside, it's almost 4:30 PM, and Draco is looking at me concerned. "Bella, are you okay? You're pale." I open my mouth but words fail me. My body is still mixed up in the dream. Draco sits on the bed beside me, clearly concerned now. "What's going on?"

"I... had a dream. It seemed so real." He scoots closer to me and takes me in a hug.

"Well it's over now, don't worry." The feelings that I get when he touches me are so powerful I have to fight to control myself. I shrug away from him and stand in the middle of the room. I can see the confusion on his face.

"I think I'm gonna go take a shower." A sly grin makes its way onto his face.

"Want some help?" Just imagining him in the shower with me almost makes me lose control so I shake my head. I don't want what happens with us to be the aftermath of a dream about my daughter and her teenaged boyfriend. The thought makes me shudder.

"No, it's all right. I think I just need a few minutes to myself. Why don't you order a pizza for supper?" I can tell that Draco's still confused but he doesn't press me for details, which I'm grateful for. Before he can get closer to me I all but sprint to the bathroom and shut the door. Once inside the safety of the bathroom the feelings ease up a little and I'm able to think straight.

I remember the letter that I got from Cheyenne just an hour earlier and the fact that she had wanted to ask me something, but couldn't because her brother and sister were hanging around. What does she want to ask? I ask myself this while I turn on the water. I'm hoping the water will wake me up completely.

45 minutes later I sit down at my desk, a piece of paper in front of me. I'm not sure of what to write. Should I ask her how close she thinks she and Alexander are? No.. that would only scare her and she probably wouldn't tell me then. Has she done it already? Oh god, I hope not. I'm not sure Draco would be able to handle that. He'd probably kill the poor kid.

Hi Cheyenne. I'm glad you wrote back so soon. I know how busy life can be at Hogwarts. Keera's arm is almost healed. Just another week with the splint and the doctor's giving her a free bill of health. She's excited to get it off, she doesn't like the thing too much. Tell your brother and sister that I would love a letter from each of them. The more the merrier. Two reasons for your letter? What might that first one be? Dad and Keera send their love back. Write me soon. Love you, mom.

I look at my finished work and nod. It'll do. I call Casper and attach my letter to his leg. He leaves from the still open hallway window and I watch him as he flies away. What could my little girl possibly be getting herself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment